Training with Trace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingblueberry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Disclaimer : I am from Québec, so my native language is French. My English grammar will most likely hurt some of you guys. I apologize in advance.

Context :
@Trace Malinowski is a tech and cave diver. I am a recreational diver with a huge 14 dives under my belt. :-D Yet, he accepted to take me on for 2 days for a buoyancy and propulsion class. My goal was to get the best advice and training on the basic diving skills as I am starting to dive. Oh boy ! I got much more than I expected !

The 2 days :

Two days, four dives.

30 minutes laying on my belly just to learn the 6 different kicks is kinda far from a PADI experience!!! I will always remember : « forget about your fins, focus on the movement your feet. » As a newbie, that is the kind of advice I was looking for. And that’s what teaching is about.

The right body position, the gear (what is important, what is not). All this is relevant. But the most important thing I have learned is team work.

I had the privilege to be buddied up with one of Trace’s student. Amazing diver. (He will be tech instructor soon). Diving with one of these guys (as a buddy) is a rare opportunity. The amount of information you absorb when you see pros doing their job is amazing. Trace insisted that we work as a team. I am happy to say that on day 2, we started to look like one. (Team, buoyancy, trim, action !)

(fun drill : get your mask taken off. Not the emptying the mask drill. The NO MASK drill ! You are a blind diver at 50 feet.. what do you do ? Is your buddy aware of the procedure ? I have learned the importance to trust my buddy right there! Thanks Jess !)

Trace is patient and generous instructor. He never made me feel as a newbie. Of course, he adjusted his teaching to my level, but he never looked down at me as a beginner. He always brings the best out of the diver he is diving with.

Any newbie should go for a class like this. I’d say : learn from the best divers. Not because it is required, but because you want to improve and be the best buddy there is ;-)

Thanks Trace :)

Last edited:
You forgot the dive where your rental tank's O-ring failed underwater. Short one, but a learning experience! :)

I had a blast coaching you.

Last edited:
Does Trace still teach? I have been trying to get a hold of him via email... no luck. Also his voicemail box is full.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom