Training with Trace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I met him when he was in DC area a while ago and StuartV took a wreck penetration course from him. I was meaning to get in touch with him but then he disappeared. A lot of people tried to reach out to him but no one knows where he went and he never responded to any attempts to reach out. I hope and pray that he is well. If anyone finds out any news about him then I would like to know how he is doing.

Wow, thank you all for the responses. Very unfortunate. I heard great things about Trace, and our corner of the world is too small to have that much knowledge be absent.

I hope that you make a full recovery and are well Trace.

Well..... I guess the next question is, who comes recommended for cave training? Here's the details:
I have a group of 4 That are all very experienced technical divers, with wreck diving experience, and instructors. We would like to take the "zero to hero" program. Yes, I know its a demanding program. Yes, I know payment of course doesn't guarantee certification. No, do I have ideas of grandeur that I will get cave trained and start making deep penetrations (or even any penetration at first). We don't expect to be pushed through the program, in fact the longer the program the better. The zero to hero program is what we desire due to travel. We would like to set aside a few weeks in one trip where our sole purpose is to go to school. (maybe not how most people would burn 2 weeks of vacation) We live in AZ and would like to travel to Florida for our training. sometime between Christmas into the new year would be best.

Any help would be nice.

Recreational diving can be many things to many people; from a short term diversion from a mundane life to a dedicated life style. Trace was/is well on the path of dedicating his life to the underwater world.

Recreational diving can also have serious consequences, especially if a diver is unfortunately at the wrong place at the wrong time or violates established diving protocol

Some how, some way in my diving career I have managed to avoid too serous injuries, but have had a number of diving companions who were not so fortunate.
Three were struck by boats
Three were attacked by sharks - one bitten
Three attacked and killed by GWS

And of course DCM
One, a great HS athlete, just began diving - caught a 16 or so pond lobster, speared a 90 pound fish
Then was bent- confined to a wheel chair- a few years later he rolled his chair up to a viewpoint at suh set and took his life

The next was a world record Spear fisherman - well on his way to be a spearfishing legend was serious bent and passed away during recompression treatment

Third one was a very popular pioneer boat captain who was bent and confined to a wheel chair all his life and just recently passed away.

Let us indivually and collectively hope that Trace is alive an well. but if he has succumbed to any of the injuries I just described it is appropriate that we provide him with all the well wishes and support we can muster and generously lavish on such a fine gentleman in his time of need

Therefore, any one have his snail mail address or any alterative method of contact other that e mail ?

Sam Miller, III
CC @The Chairman
@Akimbo

@Marie13 CE

Recreational diving can be many things to many people; from a short term diversion from a mundane life to a dedicated life style. Trace was/is well on the path of dedicating his life to the underwater world.

Recreational diving can also have serious consequences, especially if a diver is unfortunately at the wrong place at the wrong time or violates established diving protocol

Some how, some way in my diving career I have managed to avoid too serous injuries, but have had a number of diving companions who were not so fortunate.
Three were struck by boats
Three were attacked by sharks - one bitten
Three attacked and killed by GWS

And of course DCM
One, a great HS athlete, just began diving - caught a 16 or so pond lobster, speared a 90 pound fish
Then was bent- confined to a wheel chair- a few years later he rolled his chair up to a viewpoint at suh set and took his life

The next was a world record Spear fisherman - well on his way to be a spearfishing legend was serious bent and passed away during recompression treatment

Third one was a very popular pioneer boat captain who was bent and confined to a wheel chair all his life and just recently passed away.

Let us indivually and collectively hope that Trace is alive an well. but if he has succumbed to any of the injuries I just described it is appropriate that we provide him with all the well wishes and support we can muster and generously lavish on such a fine gentleman in his time of need

Therefore, any one have his snail mail address or any alterative method of contact other that e mail ?

Sam Miller, III
CC @The Chairman
@Akimbo

@Marie13 CE

Don't forget Harry Vetter was bent, for those who don't know who Harry Vetter was, I'm sure Sam could fill in his best friend for everyone on Scuba Board.

Wow, thank you all for the responses. Very unfortunate. I heard great things about Trace, and our corner of the world is too small to have that much knowledge be absent.

I hope that you make a full recovery and are well Trace.

Well..... I guess the next question is, who comes recommended for cave training? Here's the details:
I have a group of 4 That are all very experienced technical divers, with wreck diving experience, and instructors. We would like to take the "zero to hero" program. Yes, I know its a demanding program. Yes, I know payment of course doesn't guarantee certification. No, do I have ideas of grandeur that I will get cave trained and start making deep penetrations (or even any penetration at first). We don't expect to be pushed through the program, in fact the longer the program the better. The zero to hero program is what we desire due to travel. We would like to set aside a few weeks in one trip where our sole purpose is to go to school. (maybe not how most people would burn 2 weeks of vacation) We live in AZ and would like to travel to Florida for our training. sometime between Christmas into the new year would be best.

Any help would be nice.

@kensuf is an incredible cave instructor in the High Springs area. I could not more highly recommend him. Your timeframe toward the start of next year would probably work out perfect for him to get his vaca time back too. LOL

We live in AZ and would like to travel to Florida for our training. sometime between Christmas into the new year would be best.
Have you considered going to Mexico instead? Protec could set you up and the caves there are spectacular.

who comes recommended for cave training?

Without any hesitation, @kensuf, is your man. He is a very well known technical and cave diving instructor and is considered one of the best from all that know him or have taken courses with him.

Ken Sallot in FL is good, so are James and Marissa from Hidden Worlds.

Mexico has fantastic instructors, the guys at Protec are top notch, all of them. Tristan Termat is good, Nat @ Under the Jungle is good, Lanny at Underworld Tulum. Lots of solid cave instructors down in Mexico, I'd say probably the highest density of excellent cave instructors is there.

As the English have so aptly stated after the demise of a king and the coronation of the next monarch

":The king is dead
………………….long live the king"

Trace is not dead -- but he did experience a bump in the road that any and all could experience if we dive long enough and zigg rather than zagg and end up twisted in a knott

It seems appropriate that we indivually and collective give him all the support we can muster- If an ex student perhaps a telephone call- which he may have slurred speech and may not respond.

Or as I have done - a simple card with a hand written message- including get better and Trace You are missed

Get off this nonsense of selecting the next king and support Trace in his great tine of need

Sam Miller, 111

I erroneously posted Trace's home address which is a SCUBA Board NO! NO!

BUT -- go to his web site for his address..

Therefore IF and I sincerely hope you YOU will drop him a "At a boy hang in and get better " note or letter. Just a few lines will do..

How about it ?

Sam Miller, 111

This includes you @Marie13

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom