• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Trans friendly dive in Cozumel

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA Friends & Perspectives' started by turtlegurl, Feb 13, 2021.

1. turtlegurl

turtlegurl Angel Fish

Hi all,
    I just wanted to let anyone who might be interested know that my newly transitioning 20 year old daughter had a respectful, positive experience with Prodive at the Allegro in Cozumel. (she said I could post this since she isn't on ScubaBoard, FYI). All of her dive certs are in her old name, and when told her new name and that she uses she/her pronouns, they immediately began using them and didn't blink an eye. She was really worried about being misgendered while on our vacation, and the whole experience was super positive-- both the resort, (using "senorita") and Prodive. As her mother, it made my heart so happy that she was treated as she should be.

OrcasC205, kafkaland, Hoyden and 12 others like this.
  2. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I think your daughter is extremely courageous but particularly lucky to have you as her mother. We don't hear enough about these personal experiences and you are to be commended for sharing this with SB.

RayfromTX and turtlegurl like this.
  3. turtlegurl

turtlegurl Angel Fish

Thanks. Just thought I'd share in case others would like to know where to go and be treated with respect.

Brett Hatch and ontdiver like this.
  4. formernuke

formernuke ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Happy she had a good experience. My dad transitioned several years ago.

Brett Hatch and turtlegurl like this.
  5. AdivingBel

AdivingBel Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Nice to hear stories of folks with integrity treating others with respect...breath of fresh air. :clapping:

turtlegurl and Brett Hatch like this.
  6. ChuckP

ChuckP Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have never ever seen anything but open minded folks here - I don't think anyone cares about your race or sexual orientation.

I too get the attitude about who cares - I certainly don't care, no one I know or associate with cares - live your life happily and focus on the great people instead of the few that may not agree with you - you really would be much happier IMO.

I'll add this although it goes completely against my just live your life belief and not wave flags - my step son is gay, all my neighbors were gay men and a very good chunk of my business over 20 years has been with gay couples. I understand and seen the sensitivity, most if not all of these folks just moved thru life choosing what to pay attention to and what garbage to discard - we are all humans....

7. Brett Hatch

Brett Hatch ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Glad to hear that she had a great experience at a trans-friendly resort. Thanks for sharing :)

ontdiver, RayfromTX and turtlegurl like this.