Trans Plate wing selection help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Jared@ Dive Rite, I do have one other question related to the Dive Rite Trans Plate harness with A Backplate and Wing now that I think about it. First, a (short?) explanation. I will be eventually taking Tech classes and with that in mind, I've been upgrading/replacing my equipment. But I will still be diving within recreational limits frequently as well. My question relates to recommended wings. I know it's best to have dedicated wings for single and doubles, and I will still be diving single tanks for awhile yet, but what are your thoughts on the Voyager35 vs. Rec45 wings? I'm currently leaning toward the Voyager 35lb, but would the Rec be a decent choice as well? I will be using doubles eventually, but I still see single tanks as being the majority of my diving even after Tech cert.

For additional info: I'm currently diving in cold fresh water with a jacket bc, a dry suit and heavy insulation with 30 to 32 lbs total weight including two 2lb ankle weights for trim with an AL80. With 30 lbs I'm not over weighted at the end of the dive by any means. This year, in addition to the Trans Plate harness, back plate and wing I'll be purchasing
04.gif
, I'm adding a steel Hp 120 into the mix for my deeper dives as well. Your opinion is most welcome thank you.

MichigandiverJon,
You are right that personally I recommend dedicated wings for doubles and singles. For the type of diving you are doing now with singles the voyager would be the best choice. It would also work great with a 120, so long as you drop the amount of weight you are wearing.

The rec wing is works well with the bigger singles, but I don't thing you would be happy with it on an AL 80. Its just too much wing.

When you get ready for doubles, what cylinders are you planning to use? The Rec wing works great with double AL 80's and smaller steel doubles, but if you are looking at steel 95's or bigger you are going to be more comfortable with a Classic wing with the extra lift.

I hope this helps.

Jared

MichigandiverJon,
You are right that personally I recommend dedicated wings for doubles and singles. For the type of diving you are doing now with singles the voyager would be the best choice. It would also work great with a 120, so long as you drop the amount of weight you are wearing.

The rec wing is works well with the bigger singles, but I don't thing you would be happy with it on an AL 80. Its just too much wing.

When you get ready for doubles, what cylinders are you planning to use? The Rec wing works great with double AL 80's and smaller steel doubles, but if you are looking at steel 95's or bigger you are going to be more comfortable with a Classic wing with the extra lift.

I hope this helps.

Jared

Thank you Jared. That helps immensely. I was thinking the voyager was the logical choice but wanted to be sure. As for the doubles I'm a taller person 6'1" and the couple inches longer length of the hp120s really doesn't bother me so I was planning on doubling a pair of those when the time came. Would the Classic wing work for those as well? Thank you again for your help. Jon.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thank you Jared. That helps immensely. I was thinking the voyager was the logical choice but wanted to be sure. As for the doubles I'm a taller person 6'1" and the couple inches longer length of the hp120s really doesn't bother me so I was planning on doubling a pair of those when the time came. Would the Classic wing work for those as well? Thank you again for your help. Jon.

Jon,

I had a DR setup before having to sell to pay some medical bills. I didn't have a plate but rather the Transpac Harness but did have a Rec Wing. DR rep made a comment about a personal opinion about the AL80's, and will have to say it moves beyond opinion and more of a fact, the Rec Wing really doesn't work well with the AL80. I'm about your size, 6'4, and had issues when I wanted to dump some air from the wing. I actually went to my Dive Shop and had one of the guys there actually take the time and bungee up the wing for me, but again when I went to use it, it alleviated the issue some but not solve it.

Jon,

I had a DR setup before having to sell to pay some medical bills. I didn't have a plate but rather the Transpac Harness but did have a Rec Wing. DR rep made a comment about a personal opinion about the AL80's, and will have to say it moves beyond opinion and more of a fact, the Rec Wing really doesn't work well with the AL80. I'm about your size, 6'4, and had issues when I wanted to dump some air from the wing. I actually went to my Dive Shop and had one of the guys there actually take the time and bungee up the wing for me, but again when I went to use it, it alleviated the issue some but not solve it.

Thank you Bvickery, I want to get this as close to right the first time as I can, hence the barrage of questions. I do now plan on sticking with the Voyager for a single and worry about a doubles wing when the time comes. If anybody else wishes to share any advice here, please do and thank you all in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom