Transmitter configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolecw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do you prefer your AI transmitter directly screwed into the HP port on your first stage or screwed into a short hp hose that is screwed into the first stage?

Pro's and con's of each configuration?

Do you prefer your AI transmitter directly screwed into the HP port on your first stage or screwed into a short hp hose that is screwed into the first stage?

Pro's and con's of each configuration?
Screwed directly into the HP port. Less failure points and I don’t see the benefit of the transmitter moving and potentially banging around on the end of a short hose.

with a hose you can secure it to your shoulder strap, and potentialy get it closer to the DC if you have connection issues. It also protect it from banging in overhead.

with a hose you can secure it to your shoulder strap, and potentialy get it closer to the DC if you have connection issues. It also protect it from banging in overhead.
Fair enough - neither are problems I’ve personally encountered with my Perdix AI in my diving (no connection issues and have never been in overheads that tight - nor do I plan to be).

If you must use AI, then for little drawback other than possibly expense, mounted on a short (6”) HP hose and secured with bungee with eliminate the very real and catastrophic issue of the transmitter and hard contact points. Failure points? Seriously? It’s an o ring.

Reactions: Zef
I use to put my transmitter directly into my 1st stage. One day I almost had a coronary when I saw a Dive Guide pick up my tank using the little black handle. Since then I put in on a 6" or 9" hose and tie it to my LPI hose. This way if they grab the hose it costs $22 to replace and not almost, if not more than, $300.

'nuf said.

Cheers -

Reactions: Zef
If you must use AI, then for little drawback other than possibly expense, mounted on a short (6”) HP hose and secured with bungee with eliminate the very real and catastrophic issue of the transmitter and hard contact points. Failure points? Seriously? It’s an o ring.
I'm curious - how is the transmitter and hard contact points are any more real and catastrophic than the extra hose or o-ring/connection point failing with the short hose method? Also, I'm not normally swimming fast enough to be really worried about making such violent contact?

Even if you made hard contact with the transmitter, wouldn't the result be the same as blowing an o-ring or the hose (and you have an extra hose and o-ring with the short hose method) = an HP leak? From everything I've read, a HP leak is not really catostrophic for a Rec diver practicing NDL diving?

I use to put my transmitter directly into my 1st stage. One day I almost had a coronary when I saw a Dive Guide pick up my tank using the little black handle. Since then I put in on a 6" or 9" hose and tie it to my LPI hose. This way if they grab the hose it costs $22 to replace and not almost, if not more than, $300.

'nuf said.

Cheers -
That's a valid concern if others are handling your gear.

I believe that Jay means that without a hose, it is much easier to hit the transmitter on something in a way that will either crack the case (catastrophic failure of the transmitter, no reading available) or create a leak from the HP port. With a hose, it’s about the same failure potential as an SPG. Without, the likelihood goes up a bit and the potential of no gas reading increases the severity a bit.

I mount mine like so:

image.jpg

In side mount these are behind my armpits, facing up and so very unlikely to hit anything so I’m ok with that. When I pass the tanks to someone I watch where they grab and when they are standing it’s not in a position where someone is likely to mistake them.

In a rec backmount config with it sticking straight out to the side, I would definitely use a hose. I have seen people making a small neoprene sleeve to go over, seems sensible if it doesn’t affect transmission

Back
Top Bottom