Transmitter Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called Suunto to ask about the covers that come in the battery kits they sell (battery, o-ring, cover) and they told me that the recall has nothing to do with the covers specifically. The covers are being replaced because they have to open the unit to do the inspection and by their own recommendation, Suunto advises that the cover be replaced each time it is removed as the screw threads in the cover are plastic. The white "O" on the new cover is just to indicate that the unit has been inspected. The covers in the battery kits are safe to use when needed.

-Z

I called Suunto to ask about the covers that come in the battery kits they sell (battery, o-ring, cover) and they told me that the recall has nothing to do with the covers specifically. The covers are being replaced because they have to open the unit to do the inspection and by their own recommendation, Suunto advises that the cover be replaced each time it is removed as the screw threads in the cover are plastic. The white "O" on the new cover is just to indicate that the unit has been inspected. The covers in the battery kits are safe to use when needed.

-Z
Good to know. That would explain why some are returned with new serial numbers.
I am curious to know what the defect is.

Good to know. That would explain why some are returned with new serial numbers.
I am curious to know what the defect is.

Just had mine done at my local stunt dealer, 10min. of work and it's done.
It seems they added a flow restrictor in the connection to the regulator.
(according to the leaflet you get after the inspection/upgrade)
So what that does is, it will prevent the transmitter from getting pressurized too fast.
(compare it more or less with the difference between suddenly braking very hard, or easing into braking)

I did (and do) this more or less by depressing the purge button while opening the tank valve.

I don't have a Suunto dealer close by. Nearest one to me is 1.5 hrs drive away. I'm in Belleville, Ontario.
I emailed Suunto Canada (Bare in British Columbia) got an RMA number & shipped my transmitter to them. Turn around time about 10days.
It came back with a new cover , test report, new battery installed, & flow restrictor with instructions for installation.

(Edited)
Finally broke down and drove the pod to DRIS on Saturday. Got notification it is done and ready for pickup yesterday.
Luckily a friend will pick it up.
Thanks DRIS!

Last edited:
My transmitter was received by Suunto Nov. 9 and I got it back Nov 11. It also included the notice that the warranty was only for 3 months, even though the website promised a 1 year warranty extension if you registered it online, so I registered it online. It still had the original serial number from before which the webform kept saying was invalid, until I added an S before the number. Hopefully I won't have an opportunity to see if Suunto honors that warranty.

Oops, I meant to type that they received it November 9, I got it back December 11.

Back
Top Bottom