Transmitters on Short Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure at some point in the aviation world there were all kinds of discussions about replacing mechanical instruments with electronic ones, and resistance to that transition. Maybe there still is, I really don't know.
Maybe find out the facts before you post. Aviation may not be the right anecdote. So you're saying: if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me?

I have had my 2 transmitters connected to first stages for a few years.
I recently took up cave diving where, as you all know, redundancy is key. I felt adding a couple spgs would provide a little extra peace of mind.
I have never had a transmitter signal issue but these issues aren't exactly planned either. In the event that a transmitter ever does fail, it would be comforting for me (and for my buddy) to know what WE have left in the tank as we exit the dive.
View attachment 656926
...thanks to lockdowns I am currently at 23 days since getting wet and it's driving me nuts. :(
I would like to think you either commit to SPGs or transmitters.

I would like to think you either commit to SPGs or transmitters.
I am committed to the transmitters. If one fails the dive is over and we're heading out.
I don't see what is wrong with still being able to take a peak at a button gauge, for some peace of mind in what might be a more stressful situation otherwise?
I'm not really buying into the failure points argument. An SPG on a short hose is also 2 connections. The buttton gauges I have are easy to read in a pinch.

I am committed to the transmitters. If one fails the dive is over and we're heading out.
I don't see what is wrong with still being able to take a peak at a button gauge, for some peace of mind in what might be a more stressful situation otherwise?
I'm not really buying into the failure points argument. An SPG on a short hose is also 2 connections. The button gauges I have are easy to read in a pinch.
If you have to take a peak then there is doubt in your mind. Well, there's is already doubt since you haven't removed the SPG. You don't have to buy into the failure point debate, you have stated you're heading out.

Don't try to unravel that mystery.
Too late, I already unraveled it.

There are divers who overcompensate feelings of inferiority by buying the latest and greatest shiny gadgets in the scuba market to make up for shortcomings on real dive experience while rubbing shoulders with other divers who pretend to have been there done that.

Basically what some here are stating is that having a redundant supply of equipment is necessary/important except for our air reading options. Then it's a bad idea.
OK then.

Too late, I already unraveled it.

There are divers who overcompensate feelings of inferiority by buying the latest and greatest shiny gadgets in the scuba market to make up for shortcomings on real dive experience while rubbing shoulders with other divers who pretend to have been there done that.

Nice to see you've figured everybody out.

LOL. I guess there are also divers who already know it all. :)

Trust me it takes years and experience to understand the mindset of certain individuals. I've been involved in sport all my life, and scuba diving in my opinion is classed as a recreational hobby. Expedition divers have taken it to another level. But their feats fade in comparison to expeditions like climbing Everest. Just remember, we sent a monkey into space before humans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom