Transport of DSS BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ubiquitin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I received my SS BP and LCD 20 and diving it has been great. However, how do we pack and transport the BP/W? According to the video on the site, we should separate the wing from the BP, since dropping the BP on the wing can cause snakebite punctures, but I don't see the point in separating the two if I'm gonna keep them both in the same dive bag.

Should I wrap the wing with my rashguard, or a towel, or should I put it in a separate bag? Is it OK to fold or roll the wing up for transport and storage?

If they are together and get dropped at any time a puncture can occur. I usually separate them, put my BP in the bottom of the bag, load the rest of the gear, then fold and place my wing on top. That way it's away from hard objects that could puncture it. I also am careful not to pile other stuff on top of my gear bag.

+1
seperate them. I pack them in a dive caddy, but in seperately compartments. The risk of puncture outweighs the 30secs it takes to seperate and reassemble the two.

I'm lazy, and I don't separate mine. But I'm careful to put it down backplate-first, and if I'm putting it in a gear bag, I put it in so that the backplate faces the bag, which makes the bag curl the wing AWAY from the plate.

It's not a recommendation, but I've been doing this for seven years, and I've had one pinch flat, and it was early on.

Good advice has already been given. The idea is to keep the wing away from the plate. The worst would be to wrap the wing around the plate and put that in the bottom of a gear bag.

What's in the bottom of my gear box? Fins, weight belt, plate and harness. What's on top? Instruments and wing.

Tobin

I ended up with a smail puncture in my wing last year in Mexico. Now I take it off the plate/harness and put it in my carry on.

Hmmm. I guess I'll separate the plate and wing--don't seem so hard to do--and pack the wing up top with the compass, computer and mask.

Will there be any issues if the wing is folded? Stress lines and whatnot?

Hmmm. I guess I'll separate the plate and wing--don't seem so hard to do--and pack the wing up top with the compass, computer and mask.

Wings are really pretty tough, *impacts* are what you want to avoid. Roll, fold etc. is not going to damage the wing.

Tobin

---------- Post Merged at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:09 AM ----------

I should point out that DSS wings and plates are specially designed to be very simple to separate. I'd recommend reviewing the videos on the DSS website.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom