Transportation Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But once again, TSA website clearly says put them in carryon bags - do not check them. By bringing them back checked, I break their rule. If I put them in the carry on they get confiscated (and wind up in the same landfill). Who's rule is better to break?

They don't operate off of TSA rules, per-se. They may "exceed" the requirements, or may just "literally interpret" them differently (for flights heading to the US). Not an excuse, just a reason.

In the case of Belize, at least in Belize City there is a possibility of legit land fills and recycling. On the Belizian Cays? Carry it away.

Do what you can to protect the environment as well as thanking your DMs.

Airline regulations are applied capriciously in Central America. Sometimes for personal gain, sometimes for no particular reason at all.

Do not bring packaging with you, or at least carry it home in your bags if you must. There is essentially no recycling in most of the Caribbean. The cost of transport fuel has exceeded the return.
Yeah they advertise for our dive business, but aren't really set up for it. so sad.​
The batteries were the least of my worries that day, but I don't want to donate any more if I can avoid it :D:D
Yeah, went to Utila once. Some took the resorts suggestion and changed plans on the mainland - and regretted it. Most of my group took my lead and went thru Roatan where things did not go as promised, but did go better.
Great information, and I was unsure of where to post this question. Here seemed most appropriate. I had actually originally planned on doing just that and bringing them the used batteries back for disposal, and will be glad to do that from Belize. But once again, TSA website clearly says put them in carryon bags - do not check them. By bringing them back checked, I break their rule. If I put them in the carry on they get confiscated (and wind up in the same landfill). Who's rule is better to break?
You know, I was not aware that you couldn't put them in checked luggage. Sorry if I am behind on that. I need to read up...!
Edit: All I see is the restrictions on Lithiums, not NiMH batteries?

TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Safe Travel

And those only deal with loose ones? It's not hard to pack them individually and put them in checked bags?​
My last few international trips have been simple ones to Cozumel, and the same DM has always been happy to accept my used batteries in addition to (no not in place of) cash tips. I'm sure that Coz has problems with recycling and garbage like the rest of the world. I suppose I could bag up all my trash can contents and bring everything back to Texas for disposal. I might be messy to bag up my uneated food, but I try to clean my plates. I am NOT bringing back my bathroom papers.

Edit: All I see is the restrictions on Lithiums, not NiMH batteries?

TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

I took my position based upon the information provided by the TSA; I had found the same link as you provided above.

"Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur."

Perhaps this is not a "restriction" but I (mistakenly?) assumed that a directive given by the TSA followed by an exclamation point would describe a "rule". Upon looking harder, I was unable to find a specific restriction either - only the clear directive above to place them in the carry-on and NOT in checked bags.

I should mention that my trip to Utila was during "Semana Santa" and as such all travel arrangements got even more complicated than normal. The ferries got sold out leaving many unhappy travelers at the docks in both directions. My understanding is that the population of the island more than doubles that week. I would still go back without hesitation; we enjoyed our time there immensely.:D

Ok, the only restriction with batteries is a the top there...
As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.
The tips about keeping batteries & equipment with you are a bit much for a diver with several lights, cameras, computers, analyzers, etc. - and not a requirement. Plus your experience with thieves supports packing them safely in checked bags.

Ok, the only restriction with batteries is a the top there...

The tips about keeping batteries & equipment with you are a bit much for a diver with several lights, cameras, computers, analyzers, etc. - and not a requirement. Plus your experience with thieves supports packing them safely in checked bags.

You got that right, and with the same equipment for two divers, planning becomes essential. Too bad, though - keeping the batteries in the carry-on helps distribute the weight out of the suitcases. One overweight fee offsets a lot of "confiscated" batteries. Thanks for your thoughtful responses!

Fly Continental: one bag @ 50# free, one bag with scuba gear only @ 70# for $25.

Register for their free Frequent Flyer program, upgrade to First Class the day before with online check in for $100 each and have 2 - 70# bags free. :cool:

I'm Elite with Cont so I get the latter for free, but I still take a roll-on and a backpack. :D

Yep, I agree with DandyDon. I've been an elite member with Continental for years.
I make sure if possible to get on the VIP programs for all airlines I use as it makes dive travel much easier.
I recently acquired the Continental Airlines Presidential Plus Mastercard. THAT has made my life much easier.
My 1st class tickets to Palau usually run around $4500+ each, but with this new card I get two for business First tickets (Continentals premier 1st class) for the price of one.
It really does pay to be a member of the frequent flier programs.

I am traveling to N. Sulawesi in May to dive. I will be taking one U.S. domestic flight and then two international flights. I want to take an Ikelite SPD lite with two battery packs. This is a cannister style cave diving light. The battery packs are pretty compact and flat. How can I find out how and where to pack them to get them through, Do these batteries have to go in my carry on? I am also taking a single ikelite strobe. I was going to carry my camera, computers, bdc and reg. w/guages. I was going to pack my camera housing, strobe, mask, fins, batteries and chargers, knife and wetsuit. I would appreciate any advice.

I just made the above post before reading all the previous postings (which I must say, really got me worried, like everyone else, I am sort of counting on arriving with all my "stuff" and now realize I might not!) On my ikelite cannister style light, the batteries can be taken off the cable that attaches to the light. They are NimH batteries....whatever that means. Mahalo for any advice! Christy

Hi Christy,

Much of this thread goes back almost 6 years and is out of date, and you may need to ask more on various forums here including the geographic forum where you're headed. Your baggage allowances and fees will depend on your airlines, and the security rules may vary with countries. Looks like a very interesting place to visit, along with some mention of Muslim-Christian violence in recent years, but I guess you've looked into all of that already.
I am traveling to N. Sulawesi in May to dive. I will be taking one U.S. domestic flight and then two international flights. I want to take an Ikelite SPD lite with two battery packs. This is a cannister style cave diving light. The battery packs are pretty compact and flat. How can I find out how and where to pack them to get them through, Do these batteries have to go in my carry on? I am also taking a single ikelite strobe. I was going to carry my camera, computers, bdc and reg. w/guages. I was going to pack my camera housing, strobe, mask, fins, batteries and chargers, knife and wetsuit. I would appreciate any advice.
In the US, TSA is asking people to bring batteries in carry-on luggage I think - easier for them to screen, and I always carry my masks in my roll-on. Not sure about the canister light but maybe someone here can chime in.
I just made the above post before reading all the previous postings (which I must say, really got me worried, like everyone else, I am sort of counting on arriving with all my "stuff" and now realize I might not!) On my ikelite cannister style light, the batteries can be taken off the cable that attaches to the light. They are NimH batteries....whatever that means. Mahalo for any advice! Christy
Well, I hope that you do. Airline liabilities for lost luggage are reduced on international flights, and they often disallow liability for damages to scuba gear. I buy Trip insurance from TravelSafe.com mostly for medical coverage but also for limited gear coverage.

NiMH (Nickel-metal hydride batteries) are a rechargeable type with less memory problems than the older NiCds; the link will tell more if you want. NiMHs don't seem to be under any specific rules, unlike Lithium batteries that are, but it's always good to remove batteries from lights, etc and pack them so they cannot make contact with each other. Recreational dive lights can put off a lot of heat if turned on in luggage, other than LEDs but the screening agents don't know the different from looking, and of course they can look questionable in X-rays.

I hope that helps you along some. Good luck and have a great trip...! :pilot:

Back
Top Bottom