Transporting gear pre set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thejackdaw

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone doing it but wondering is there an issue in transporting in your car with gear set up and ready to go? i.e BC, regs and tank assembled together.

I do it. Weight can be a factor. For the benefit of social cohesion I really do wish people arrived at shore or similar sites assembled, as there are only so many hours in a day and also that way they will know that in amongst the piles of cherished treasures their cars contain, there is at least one complete set of dive gear with which to conduct the dive

I transport my gear ready to dive all the time. This way I'am sure everything works as expected before leaving home. Saves time at the dive spot.

I nearly always do this. Just make sure your valve is turned off, otherwise you may get a sudden loss of air if it all rolls a bit and reg gets purged.

I do it as well. I like having everything ready to go when I show up. No surprises when you arrive (oh, forgot the regulator, etc.). Now that I have switched to a rebreather it is just about mandatory.

reduces the stress of getting everything ready and putting it together correctly.

Be nice to others you dive with that are building there rigs at the dive site. do NOT rush them. No need to put your rescue skill to the test because you stress someone else out. In real life it is not enjoyable for either person.

I have it all set to go but the reg is not attached. I do that at the dive site. Years ago I put it on and actually turned the tank valve on. Hit the brakes and my reg purge button touched something and it was free flowing. Oh, sh*t!
Since then I never even attach the reg up. Why take any chances when it takes all of 2 minutes at the site?

Haven't seen anyone doing it but wondering is there an issue in transporting in your car with gear set up and ready to go? i.e BC, regs and tank assembled together.

I do it all the time.

When I am vacation diving from a boat (usually tropical) I come aboard mostly assembled and I leave mostly assembled. I only rinse my regs under pressure, but I carry a small bottle of tap water that I use to rinse the regs and computer while the vessel is heading back to the dock. I then hook my arm through both arm slots of my BCD and away I go, right to my car or locker. I always come aboard with all of my sheet because it is all attached to my BCD. Even my Shearwater is strapped on the BCD. Sinkers and all (for tropical diving only--only 4-5 pounds worth of lead).

Booties are in the fins. My mask, skin, and fins are in the gear bag on the other shoulder. My empty water bottle is also in my gear bag as I disembark the vessel.

Don't leave home without a kitted-up BCD!

Especially, if you are like me and prone to leaving sheet laying around because I am distracted by someone (usually my wife--she gets my undivided attention when we are diving, because I make sure she has fun).

Cheers,
m

That's my standard for driving to a dive site. Saves a bunch of time and hassle onsite.

For vacation diving, my tropical gear (save the tank) is all assembled before I get to the boat. Again, it saves a lot of time (and hassle for the DM who likely doesn't know how to set up a BP/W, let alone the way I like to set it up).

I've been on boats when unprepared divers have had their gear "explode" all over the boat and interfere with other divers.

I always put the tank on the backpack because it's easier to move around, but the reg goes on at the site. Besides it takes longer to put on a 7mm farmer John than assemble a rig. In any event if you set up and break down often enough it only takes a couple of minutes.

Everything is RTG except my regs are not attached to my tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom