Transporting The Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit late to the party in this thread, but I was surprised to see that nobody recommended installing some L-track inside the van. I installed some on my pickup truck a few years ago before I got into diving, and it has been amazingly useful for all kinds of loads, including dive cylinders.

I made a post on this in the DIY forum last year. Take a look at the thread, and see if something like this will work for you. The track itself runs about $8 per foot, the little moveable attachment fittings are about $5 each. Throw in some stainless hardware, and you have a sweet, modular, reusable system for around a hundred bucks.

I'm a bit late to the party in this thread, but I was surprised to see that nobody recommended installing some L-track inside the van. I installed some on my pickup truck a few years ago before I got into diving, and it has been amazingly useful for all kinds of loads, including dive cylinders.
Totally agree. If possible, this is a great solution.

My last two vehicles had track in the bed. My previous truck had the track installed on the bedsides. That was pretty useful, but I couldn’t use them for tanks with the bed cover. My current truck has 5 sections of track. Two on the side rails, one in the front, and two in the floor. It took me far too long to realize how useful those last two were. When the tanks aren’t in the boat, they are strapped down securely using those tracks and a couple of cleats.

These $25 Husky wheeled tool totes fit LP108s like a glove, which means they'll fit almost any other common cylinder. You can ratchet strap them to the floor board. I didn't install it yet in this photo, but my truck bed has a retractable aluminum cover to prevent theft and would also stop vertical fight so I don't bother ratchet strapping. Only way they're coming out is if I rolled my truck. Side benefit is you can just roll your tanks to the dock.

q.jpg
2.jpg

Hi All,

Well, once again a massive thanks for everyones advise, what a weekend it has been, at one point during the last dive, I had a carp swim right up to my face, it swan round my head, then I looked and 5 more swam up and they were just swimming round me it was incredible, I was gutted I didn't have my go pro on me.

The van was worth every penny, the light system I put in worked a treat, the cylinders went in and secured perfectly, as it was a 4am start for me I didn't really feel like taking pictures once the van was packed but I really wish I did, so here are a few pictures from peoples camera's that have been floating round, I took one myself whilst I was chilling in the back filling out my log book just before the first dive, the underwater photo's have yet to be sent through.

I'm the diver with the blue hose.

Thanks again all.

John

Attachments

• CF7F72ED-51DE-437C-81AF-8B16FA062EB3.jpeg
    CF7F72ED-51DE-437C-81AF-8B16FA062EB3.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 688FE647-D5DF-4050-8729-5FB4CA9D8968.jpeg
    688FE647-D5DF-4050-8729-5FB4CA9D8968.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 60
  • 3B320A0F-DF30-4CAC-9E18-27F7786E9460.jpeg
    3B320A0F-DF30-4CAC-9E18-27F7786E9460.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 62
On a point about the go pro, I have a hero session, it is rated up to a certain depth but I need one that can go to 20 meters plus, is there a case I can buy so I can use my camera at those depths or should I sell what I have and buy one fit for purpose.

On a point about the go pro, I have a hero session, it is rated up to a certain depth but I need one that can go to 20 meters plus, is there a case I can buy so I can use my camera at those depths or should I sell what I have and buy one fit for purpose.
Lots of cases on Amazon that are pretty cheap. I saw a few rated to 60M. If the camera still works well, then that's probably a good choice. If you are having issues with the camera/battery, might be a good idea to replace.

I've never understood the reasoning of putting valves to the trunk of the car. This basically ensures that in a heavy accident you get torpedo'd by your tanks.

Is this something that has just been accepted as common practice through the years, or is there any real evidence that this is safer?

I've never heard of valves shooting off and killing someone unless it was an accident caused by m25 / g3/4 threads being swapped, but in that case it's logical because the valve is not correctly sealing. You can literally look through the entire internet and see people jumping on valves, hammering valves, shooting tanks etc. And the valve basically never presents a major threat except flying maybe one or two meters away even in the worst scenario's.

The tank however always acts as if it's desperately trying to sink the Wilhem Gustloff.

I'm not closing the book entirely on pointing my valves to the back of the car, but at the moment It feels to me it might not be the safest option at all...

I've never understood the reasoning of putting valves to the trunk of the car. This basically ensures that in a heavy accident you get torpedo'd by your tanks.

Is this something that has just been accepted as common practice through the years, or is there any real evidence that this is safer?

I've never heard of valves shooting off and killing someone unless it was an accident caused by m25 / g3/4 threads being swapped, but in that case it's logical because the valve is not correctly sealing. You can literally look through the entire internet and see people jumping on valves, hammering valves, shooting tanks etc. And the valve basically never presents a major threat except flying maybe one or two meters away even in the worst scenario's.

The tank however always acts as if it's desperately trying to sink the Wilhem Gustloff.

I'm not closing the book entirely on pointing my valves to the back of the car, but at the moment It feels to me it might not be the safest option at all...

Mine always go valve in.

I fully agree with this. The amount of energy in the tank is of much greater concern than the energy of the valve once separated from the tank. I make sure there is some padding between the valve and the seats. Also in a rear ender the valve are much more exposed when facing back towards the trunk.

Lots of cases on Amazon that are pretty cheap. I saw a few rated to 60M. If the camera still works well, then that's probably a good choice. If you are having issues with the camera/battery, might be a good idea to replace.

Yeah I never thought of Amazon to begin with, but had a look this morning and found a case for £19.95, jobs a good one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom