Trash, trash, trash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read the full Guardian article. The diver who posted said that the trash had come from Java in the storms and the next day was gone, having moved on the Indian Ocean currents.

Trash is a huge issue. We all know that plastic bags and other trash are harming the sea life we love. But, I am concerned that we rich westerners are so happy to point fingers at others while we generate more trash and use more and more of the world's resources than the developing world. I've dived Manta Point at Nusa Penida a lot. I stay on Nusa Lembongan and yes, plastic bags and water bottles are a huge problem there. There aren't land fills to bury the trash. Many people there don't have enough to adequately feed and house their families. And I see lots of tourists ordering bottled water (instead of filling their water bottles from larger containers readily available in restaurants and hotels). We are generating a lot of that trash.

The dive centers on Nusa Lembongan regularly have beach and dive site clean ups that one can participate in and help.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, every rainy season the garbage situation is as you can see in this video. The garbage washes up on the beaches of Bali and remains in bays until the next tide takes it out. A lot of good actions are being done such as clean ups but this is not enough as the locals have no way to get rid of their plastic rubbish. We are all part of the problem and can be part of the solution as well. We usually advice our guests to use reusable bottles, straws and bags, and to avoid using plastic whenever possible. Awareness is the first step! :)

All I know is, being a diver has changed me greatly. It has opened my eyes so to speak. I no longer use plastic bags at shops. In fact, they charge you now for them so very few people use them anyway. They bring their own reusable bags. I also no longer buy plastic water bottles. Only use my own reusable water bottles.

There is still a heck of a lot of packaging waste.

One step at a time ...

Seeing that majestic manta swimming among that garbage hurts me to the core.

Heart-breaking! and seemingly becoming all to common all round the world.
Its difficult for me to believe we’ll significantly reduce our use/reliance on plastics in the short or even medium terms but hopefully, with enough pressure on Govts and business, and increased public awareness, we can vastly improve waste management, and take the first steps to reducing the use of plastics.

I saw that video on Facebook earlier. Sad to see but the diver did say the trash was "removed" during the next tidal change. Of course "removed" means it was just swept elsewhere.

When is the world going to learn from things like this? Banning "single use" plastic bags is one important step, but we should be looking at replacing plastics with other materials in packaging, etc. Reusable glass bottles and jars instead of "disposable" plastics for example.

paper bags seem like an easy solution...

Based in Australia I have dived Indonesia many times over the past 20 years... fond memories of the Banda Islands, Sulawesi and most recently Komodo off Flores. In general I found the further East in the Moloccas the better the diving, however... it is getting much worse lately.

Biggest issue apart from fish bombing is the huge amount of plastic waste in the water... not as bad as in the video but in 2016 the waters off Flores were festooned with plastic of all types and origins, including a used Pampers nappy floating past like some grotesque jelly fish!

Local education of the need to recover plastic waste and recycle it vs just tipping it over the side is vital if Indonesia wants a vibrant and growing dive tourism industry. As someone pointed out most people in regional Indonesia are desperately poor and more focused on the next meal or paying for petrol for their motorbike! Plastic pollution underwater is off their radar as (like rural Thailand) many cannot even swim.

The more progressive dive operators restrict single use cups, straws and drinking water in bottles, biodegradable soaps... even organising local clean-up days. A solid first step in a l-o-n-g journey.

So many divers on my trip were appalled by what they saw both underwater and washed up on supposedly pristine remote beaches in Indonesia... some saying it would be their last trip.

Last edited:
I found this interesting
how_long_until_its_gone.png
, and disturbing.

Oh great... so that disposable diaper will still be around for another 448 years :shakehead:

I saw that video on Facebook earlier. Sad to see but the diver did say the trash was "removed" during the next tidal change. Of course "removed" means it was just swept elsewhere.
I dived that site 18 months ago. It was not quite that bad, but it was close. It was diving in a landfill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom