Trash, trash, trash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived next to Bali for 5 years. It wasn't every day as bad as in the video but, in rainy season, lots of days it came very close to this. We tried to help with cleaning up while diving, while waiting for the boat to pick us up, and being on the boat picking up other people. It really was disgusting sometimes!
On the island I lived, Gili Trawangan, there is the Gili Eco Trust. They do lots of things to bring recycling and awareness to the island. Plastic bags should be forbidden by now, straws already were. They reuse the glass bottles and make stuff with it. They bought some burner to clean up the waste better after recycling... The dive shops help lots and every diver is asked to pay 50.000 IDR (3 dollar) to support. Sadly enough the other tourists aren't asked for any help and they are also part of the problem. To lazy to clean up their waste after leaving the beach. Chips bags, beer bottles, cigarette butts... They all leave it behind for the tide to take. Every friday, the GET and dive shops do beach clean-ups and sometimes there is more than 200 pbs collected.

Sadly enough, the biggest part comes from the locals. They have no idea about recycling. The government never told them. The parents don't tell the children because they have no clue themselves. And Indonesians use LOTS of plastic. In stead of using big reusable gallons for water, they use all these small cups they throw away. Pots and bags for noedels, plastic bags for every grocery item, cigarettes by the millions... And they just throw it in the river. Rainy season comes and all goes to the sea... Maybe now, with all this foreign attention, the local government will do something about it. I really hope so...

Strangely, many divers and dive shops heavily promote 'yuck diving' claiming unique/weird creatures take up residence in all the assorted trash items, and it's fun to seek them out amid all the trash!

Strangely, many divers and dive shops heavily promote 'yuck diving' claiming unique/weird creatures take up residence in all the assorted trash items, and it's fun to seek them out amid all the trash!
Damage control... a little too late IMO.
A number of the divers on my Komodo trip vowed never to return to Indonesia because of the appalling trash and the lack of Government education on plastic litter reduction.
Given the expense and inconvenience in getting to Komodo, Raja Ampat etc (even from Australia) I think the dive industry in Indonesia could face a collapse in numbers in the near future if strong measures are not implemented quickly.
There are plenty of other attractive dive sites in the world!
Contrast with a recent trip to Walindi in Kimbe PNG where population levels are much lower, the locals still use natural rattan baskets and banana leaf to wrap their 'fast food' and we didn't see much trash at all... really quite pristine.

Last edited:
To be fair, you can't really compare Walindi with somewhere like Bali, Lembeh, or Ambon. Bali has literally millions of residents, and Lembeh and Ambon are effectively right next to a big city. Walindi is sparsely populated and nowhere near a big city. Pollution is a problem in any major city.

And the diving in Walindi is nothing like the diving in Bali or Lembeh or Ambon. Walindi is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly macro-central.

A creek near our villa about 20m from beautiful rice fields in Ubud.

Attachments

• IMG_8186.jpg
    IMG_8186.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 143
For those of you following the trash video, the man who shot the video will be appearing on our Podcast later this week (Friday Indonesia time). We have a great discussion about the garbage and plastic issues in the world and where it's all going. Stay tuned

paper bags seem like an easy solution...

I remember the switch from paper to plastic grocery bags. I wanted paper because that's what we had to wrap our textbooks with (as they're loaned to us). Other people in line looked at my mom and me with disgust because we were "killing trees". Plastic was the eco option then...

I have read the full Guardian article. The diver who posted said that the trash had come from Java in the storms and the next day was gone, having moved on the Indian Ocean currents.

Trash is a huge issue. We all know that plastic bags and other trash are harming the sea life we love. But, I am concerned that we rich westerners are so happy to point fingers at others while we generate more trash and use more and more of the world's resources than the developing world. I've dived Manta Point at Nusa Penida a lot. I stay on Nusa Lembongan and yes, plastic bags and water bottles are a huge problem there. There aren't land fills to bury the trash. Many people there don't have enough to adequately feed and house their families. And I see lots of tourists ordering bottled water (instead of filling their water bottles from larger containers readily available in restaurants and hotels). We are generating a lot of that trash.

The dive centers on Nusa Lembongan regularly have beach and dive site clean ups that one can participate in and help.

I will never return to Lembongan because having to wade out to the boat over a beach covered in trash--mostly plastic--just appalled me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom