Travel and diving insurance for seniors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is DAN's insurance cutoff still 70 for diving?

As the OP is in Portugal (where the public health system is excellent)

The public health system in Portugal is terrible. I would run away from it like the plague. But I digress.

I think that DAN Europe insurance does not cover cancellation costs, which many may consider a relevant cover in a travel insurance, so a cancellation insurance on top of DAN for relevant trips may be wise.

The public health system in Portugal is terrible. I would run away from it like the plague. But I digress.
Well, this contrasts with the fact that a huge number of elder people, after going in pension, migrate to Portugal from other European countries, exactly for their free and high standard healthcare and very low taxation on pensions.
More info here:
The complete guide to healthcare in Portugal | Expatica
A guide on how to retire in Portugal as an expat | Expatica
I agree that we are digressing...

DAN Annual Travel Insurance, which my wife and I have purchased every year, has almost doubled in price this year (to $3300 each!). It is now almost 5x what it cost in 2014.
I'm looking for an alternative.

Holy cow. That is a steep increase. I just checked the DAN website and my quote for the year is only $520 for the top coverage level. After thinking about it and being a little bored, I did a little testing on the quote page for DAN annual trip insurance. I am a 57 year old diver living in Maryland - my quote for a year was $520 - if I was from Virginia the same coverage would be $874. If I aged 20 years (to 77) annual trip insurance would cost me $913, but if I aged 20 years and moved to Virginia it would cost me $1657. That is a crazy difference.

Jackie

Holy cow. That is a steep increase. I just checked the DAN website and my quote for the year is only $520 for the top coverage level. After thinking about it and being a little bored, I did a little testing on the quote page for DAN annual trip insurance. I am a 57 year old diver living in Maryland - my quote for a year was $520 - if I was from Virginia the same coverage would be $874. If I aged 20 years (to 77) annual trip insurance would cost me $913, but if I aged 20 years and moved to Virginia it would cost me $1657. That is a crazy difference.

Jackie
Exactly. You feel my pain....and it is times two, of course.
It is NOT a good deal, but it is beginning to look like the ONLY deal.

Exactly. You feel my pain....and it is times two, of course.
It is NOT a good deal, but it is beginning to look l
like the ONLY deal.

I was 5 years in MoCo and 6 months in Falls Church, yet another good reason to move to Md :wink:

Hiya

The travel insurance I've been using for many years won't cover me for scuba anymore as I'm now 66, so I'm looking for recommendations for alternative packages.

I travel quite a bit so need general travel insurance. I would prefer to take a package that covers me for diving as well but if that's not a working solution then I'm happy to take 2 packages i.e. one for general travel and one for diving.

Just to note I'm a Brit, based in Portugal and travelling mainly in Asia.

Any input gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

David

Hi David

I believe you will find that the following package offered by IMG will suit your requirements Scuba Diving Travel Insurance

Is DAN's insurance cutoff still 70 for diving?
This was the first I had heard of this, so as I am pushing 70 myself, I had to look into this. Now, my info is for US divers only, but with that caveat in mind, here is what I found. I called DAN direct (which was fun, as their non-emergency number was very crowded with a long wait on hold-"You are number 8 in the line!"- but eventually I got through) and here is what they said. It appears that they use multiple insurance carriers depending on your state of residence, and the policies can vary slightly as a result. (If you have ever searched DAN online to see what it costs, you will be asked for your state of residence before they will give you a price, and now you know why) Almost all the policies make no mention of any age restriction, but there are still a couple of states which have that annoying age limit. Dan is working hard to replace those with non-restricted policies, and hopes to have the changeover done soon. As I hail from Minnesota, I am lucky as my state is one who never had any age restriction, so I am good to go.:clapping: They didn't tell me who the restricted states are, but if you are curious, I encourage you to call them (at 1-800-446-2671) and find out for yourself where you stand.:popcorn: One less worry, although the Coronavirus cloud is still hanging over us...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom