Travel and solo diving - where shall we go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire through Buddies is always a possibility. I did it through their northern diving centre at Oilslick leap. The checkout was solo and the only stipulation was they watched me rig my kit of twin 60 cu footers and pylons.
Once this was done diving solo at their main facility was accepted.

Curacao was done with Blue Bay, but in all cases like above I did it through a UK booking agency and told them exactly what I was after.

I learnt Soloing through Malta in the med and did it at Strand Diving Services.

Some of the technical diving operators in Scapa Flow, Scotland.

Protec Sardinia.

In Tenerife: DivingCanarias in Radazul, La Morena Diving in Las Galletas, Los Gigantes Diving Centre in Los Gigantes, Atlantic Divers in Costa Del Silencio, etc

Silfra in Iceland is officially NOT solo diveable and the national park rangers are quite strict about this. However, in Reykjavik there is a diving supplies shop www.kofunarvorur.is that will rent you all necessary equipment, fill your tanks and give tips of suitable other diving destinations with 100ft/30m visibility in water.

I'm off to Dubrovnik Croatia in August with Blue Planet. As they are a technical school they said they are prepared to entertain the properly trained and equipped solo diver/self reliant.

I'll report back once done........

Regards

Paul B

Just spent a week solo in Bonaire through Wana Dive. All shore diving no questions asked. Shop instructors saw me in the water solo sidemout and didn't raise any questions.

Just an update to my post Blackbeards will not allow Solo with card /pony not sure if it was the DM making a ruling but they werent allowing solo in December when we were on board (Thumbs Down).

I am a local here in southern california and will re-affirm the good reputation of boats:
Peace-docked in Ventura, serving the Channel Islands and other destinations off So. Cal.
Truth Aquatics-docked in Santa Barbara, serving the Channel Islands and other destinations off So. Cal.

Both these operations are the best I have experienced in So. Cal. Captains and crew are among the most accommodating and ready to provide a good experience for their divers. I dive solo with both of these operations. They are always open to listen to and give feedback regarding your needs from simple to complex. The only problem people may have is the boats move around from site to site a lot. The gates to jump in will usually be open for 1 to 1.5 hours and not remain open for several hours at a time. They do check every diver's return every couple hours to make sure you are OK and accounted for. After that, they pull anchor and cruise for 10-30 minutes to another location.
Diving here is cold (~50-78 F depending upon the season and the year) so please be prepared and call to ask questions before booking your trips. Conditions will vary but diving can be done at any time of year (generally operations get slower from Thanksgiving to after Christmas).

One last bit of caution:
Some trips are booked by certain clubs or shops (instead of "open boat" bookings) so the dive master of the group may have special restrictions to impose on the rest of the divers whether or not the boat operators allow solo diving. After all, you booked as a tag-a-long on their trip so you must abide by their "rules". I booked a trip through a shop that imposed "no solo diving" under any circumstances. The DM was actually not a reasonable and person but I was on their trip so I had to owe their rules the courtesy. If you book any trip, make sure you find out what restrictions the booking shop, group or boat will have on that particular trip.

Last edited:
On Gozo (Malta) you can rent a car and tanks and go where you want. Did some solodives also (or others went back and I went deeper and longer).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom