Travel bcd wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the first hand input I think my wife wants to try the Outlaw on again and having a little more insight before commiting is great.

My pleasure! I'm sorry I cannot provide links to the threads at the moment (on mobile, out n about), but it has been discussed in the BCD section. I think the thread some very good pros/cons discussed.

What does the giant, tricked out, "stealth" carabiner do?..... Obfuscate the general noodlely-ness of the BCD?

s-l640.jpg

It is not a BP/W, but my Zeagle Covert folds up smaller than a loaf of bread. And you can use the top Velcro cam band to hold it all in place. I’ve flown with it to HI and the Keys. It really is crazy small compared to other BCs. For travel it should very much be in consideration. Might not be for you but at least give it a look.

What does the giant, tricked out, "stealth" carabiner do?..... Obfuscate the general noodlely-ness of the BCD?

Don't knock the 'biner!
It's actually really handy pre and post dive to hang my mask, neoprene vest, goPro (and before I got a Teric, my perdix). I had taken mine off because I thought it was kinda cheap looking, but realized I missed it! Keeps things from flying overboard or squashed by other divers.[/QUOTE]

Don't knock the 'biner!
I had taken mine off because I thought it was kinda cheap looking, but realized I missed it!

Sounds like compulsive 'biner-fetishism. Or.....fetishistic 'biner-ism........Or is it 'bineristic fetishism?

Sounds like compulsive 'biner-fetishism. Or.....fetishistic 'biner-ism.

Not sure if that's a thing, but I love my outlaw. It's a great BC that functions almost like a backpack as long as you're not wearing a lot of neoprene.
With just a neoprene vest and board shorts, I just need a couple short squirts of air in the bladder after I descend which carries me until just before I ascend to the SS.

As a Christmas present for my son, I Just got a new TransPac XT w the Voyager wing and integrated weight pockets. It a pretty darn nice setup.. I don’t dive single tank very often.. but am really starting to think I want another just for me.

I've been diving my Rogue for a couple months now, and I have to say it was a great choice for me (exclusively travel warm water diving and liveaboards). It breaks down small (I band all the straps into one bundle, the bladder and BP in the other) and it fits in my duffel. It is very easy to assemble/disassemble (all you need is a flathead screwdiver and 3 minutes).

The AL rep came to my local shop in Portsmouth to go over the differences between the Rogue and Outlaw. I went in thinking the Outlaw was for me. I actually found the Outlaw to be too basic. Outlaw didn't have enough adjustability for my size (6'2" 260#, 2mm wetsuit). I also found it generally uncomfortable; not enough padding out of the water (which I considered a problem for shore dives).

I did like the biner/suicide clip on the front strap of the Outlaw, so I've simply put a big stainless biner on my Rogue in the same spot. Serves the same purpose, and
I can use it as a banger/clicker.

I prefer the stainless D-rings (and satisfying 'clink' when I attach a deadbolt clip) of the Rogue. The webbing of the Outlaw was difficult to clip onto when I did a 'blind feel' test.

I put the AL Airsource on my Rogue (hooray, no Octo to droop into the sand and hangup in branch coral!). If I remember correctly, this wasn't an option for the Outlaw.

I like the pockets of the Rogue, although I don't use them often. I keep a trilobite cutter on my chest strap. If I know there are tangle hazards on a dive, I keep a folding knife in the pocket. I frequently wonder the wisdom of this; if I'm tangled up, do I want the process of opening a pocket and unfolding a knife?

In the water I immediately noticed an increase in streamlining with the Rogue over my former rig (Dimension I3). Went from tugboat to torpedo!

The ONLY downsides I can think of are 1) that there is not a lot of weight storage on the Rogue (even less on the Outlaw). I require 10#, and it just about fills every pocket to capacity. But both are geared for the warm water diver, so a lot of weight isn't generally necessary, 2) price (AL is pretty expensive compared with BCs from Zeagle, Oceanic, etc.), and 3) gender (Rogue is unisex - for now - which I interpret as "was made for men and women shaped like men"), but with the adjustability, this maybe less of an issue.

I found that there are a lot of choices (and opinions!) for a travel BC. If you have the luxury, try on as many as you can with all your gear. Do you feel comfortable? Are you relaxed? Can you reach everything "blind?" Is it intuitive? How is the support/service locally and from the manufacturer?

Good luck!!

Yes, when I used to climb I would always use SS double-enders instead of carabiners.

Back
Top Bottom