Travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My recent Raja Ampat travel made me think that I probably exaggerate a little by traveling with Scubapro Jetfins :) .. maybe I could have a lighter suitcase if I find the right fins for tropical travel.

I am looking for a fin that can be used without boots (so full foot most probably, but there are some open heels which don't require a boot). They should be light. And most important, they should provide great performance in strong currents - enough so I'll not miss my Jetfins. I have tried a few times to use rental fins, but they are useless, so I need to find something better.

Further more, the chosen fin should be available for both my size 43 (US 10, UK 9), and my wife's 38 (UK 5, US 7.5).

I have looked at:

- Scubapro Go. Very light. I have serious doubts about the performance, specially in the XS-S size for my wife. I'd like to hear about some real life experience with them, specially in smaller sizes (XL seems adequate). I'd love to hear somebody's experience with small XS-S size, because if they are not some poor performers, they might be just perfect.

- Scubapro Seawing Nova full foot - probably the winning candidate, if I don't find anything else in this thread. A pair should be about 2kg from what I have read, and they do have enough power.

- Mares Avanti Superchanel Full Foot - probably 1.5kg per pair. I have some doubts about the 2-material construction (how fast will they separate?) but I know the Avanti fins are usually considered very good. I know that Quattros have better reputation, but they aren't available in small size. Also, I think the plastic/rubber combination will break in a few years forcing me to buy another pair.

- Hollis F1 LT - they cannot be used without a boot, but they are light. I have Hollis F1 for my drysuit and I love them, so maybe if they are as good, I could get over the boot requirement. But.. are they as good as the normal F1? I think they are about 2-3kg (Hollis says 1kg/fin, some web shops say 3kg per pair).

- OMS Slipstreams. Also require boots, and I think they might be heavier than F1 LTs.

Please don't bring force fins into discussion. I have tested a pair once and hated them. It's my personal opinion, I don't intend to change it.

If somebody could give me some accurate numbers for weight for the above models (specially for Mares and Hollis) it would be very helpful.

Also, I am open for other suggestions (except for Force Fins :) ). I prefer fins built out of a single material if possible (not rubber/plastic combinations).

check this fins Salvas Feather Swim Fins: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
it is most lightweight, that I ever saw. My wife do like this model.
61M0fnTq4xL._SL1500_.jpg

It is not most powerfull, but for normal swimming and diving it is enough.

I`m used for some years for freediving like this (very similar) model Salvas Advance Men's Fins - ,
original.jpe

It is more powerfull

But now in the open water I preffer long fins:
Fins-Gara 3000 LD
723_gara_3000ld_3851_z.jpg

in the one our dive, we turned around corner and met very strong frontal current.
My experienced buddyes had tryed to swim, weaked, than catched for the rocks....
same time I stay near them in the water without big efforts...
so - in case of currents - look for such kind of fins

Now in the warm water I use old soviet fins
346_0.1024x768w.jpg

It is not very heavy, but very powerful.
May be you can find similar or you be able to order it from Ukraine.

Last edited:
I recently bought the go fins, in my pool they perform extremely well, very good for frog kick and very smooth for flutter kick, power is very nice. I have the XL wear size 15 shoes, 6’5” 250 lbs and they move me around nearly as well as deep 6 Eddy’s. I’ll be taking the go’s and the deep 6 to Truk at the end of the month, the plan is to use the go’s and hold the Eddy’s in reserve.

Dunno about traditional fins, but if you want tech/short fins, I found the Apeks RK3 to be the lightest ...just be aware that they are made in two versions: normal, that are someway soft, not floppy like traditional fins but neither hard as the jetfins, they are OK with wetsuits and light gear; and the "HD" version that are hard as the jetfins but lighter, shorter, and more travelling friendly.

Can you measure the weight of a RC3 fin please, if you own them?

Later edit: nevermind, found it on their website: it's 0.98kg for medium, 1.19kg for large, 1.27kg for xl

- OMS Slipstreams. Also require boots, and I think they might be heavier than F1 LTs.

Slipstreams are the fins I use and I wouldn't dive without them. They are about the same weight as Jetfins.

- Hollis F1 LT - they cannot be used without a boot, but they are light. I have Hollis F1 for my drysuit and I love them, so maybe if they are as good, I could get over the boot requirement. But.. are they as good as the normal F1? I think they are about 2-3kg (Hollis says 1kg/fin, some web shops say 3kg per pair).

The F1 LT is not light. It's just lighter than the F1. My Deep6 Eddy fins are noticeably lighter than the F1 LT fins.

I have posted the exact weights before, if you want to search for it.

I don't notice any difference in performance between my F1 and F1 LT fins. But, it's hard to really compare because they are different and I use them for different things. The F1s are more negative and I only use them when diving dry. The F1s are less negative and I only use them when diving in a wetsuit. And even then, I generally only use them when diving wet with doubles. Doubles tend to be a bit more head-heavy than single tank or side mount, so I appreciate the extra negative buoyancy on my feet from the F1 LTs. For single tank and side mount, where I don't need heavy feet, I use the Deep6 Eddy fins.

For a lightweight, full foot fin, I love my Mako Competition Freediver fins.

Competition Freediver II Fins | MAKO Spearguns

They are fairly light, but they are long. I disassemble them to pack for flying places. The blades by themselves will fit in my large gear bag, but with the foot pockets still attached to the blades, they are too long even for my biggest gear bag.

If you want light and not too long, I would go for the Deep6 Eddy fins and some neoprene socks. Mako has some nice 2mm neoprene socks.

Yamamoto Freedive Socks 2mm Low Cut | MAKO Spearguns

I have a pair of these that I actually use with my freediver fins.

Now in the warm water I use old soviet fins
View attachment 459165
It is not very heavy, but very powerful.
May be you can find similar or you be able to order it from Ukraine.
346_0-1024x768w-jpg.459165.jpg

I sometimes snorkel in the North Sea off the North East coast of England with a pair of these powerful АКВАНАВТ (Aquanaut) fins manufactured by Kievguma in the Ukrainian capital Kiev. Despite their stiff blades, they are very comfortable to wear because of their soft foot pockets and they come in solid and marbled colours:
138824111_1_644x461_lasty-akvanavt-38-39-r-kiev-jpg.401825.jpg

swim_devices-jpg.401829.jpg

Kievguma's fins are displayed on an English-language page on its website at ООО "Киевгума" - Rubber Flippers for Swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom