Travel from CBD to Portsea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohackme

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm travelling to melbourne in a week or so, and was hoping to get some dives in.
PADI cert, but less than 25 dives.

I saw some of the packages over in Portsea, and they look amaze - but i've never been in country - how do i get from CBD to portsea and back? anyone have suggestions?

or maybe know a place to dive closer?

Train from Melbourne to Frankston then a bus (788) to Portsea. It'll take about 2hrs + or - depending on connections.

I'm assuming you'll be diving with Redboats? Luke is the owner, he runs a great operation and is a top bloke.

Btw the weather isn't great at the moment so make sure you've thought about exposure protection. The top temps are about 15-18C and the water is about the same, you'll need at least a 7mm wetsuit or preferably a drysuit.

Have a great time!

thanks for the info mike, appreciate it.
ya, my plan was to book with redboats, but i wanted to firm up how i was going to get there and back

do you have any info on the pier dives closer to CBD?

You're very welcome.

Nah I've dived at Rye, Blairgowrie and Flinders Piers, they're all great dives but if you're going out there anyway, definitely hook up with Redboats.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Nohackme,
Mike is right about the train and bus. But it is closer to three hours, and you want to make sure you are on an earlier train in case the one you plan for is cancelled. There is a web site to help you plan your trip
Journey planner The destination you want is probably Delaney Ave/Point Nepean Rd,which is the last stop.

Unless you are bringing everything with you, please be aware that according to the Red Boats Web site they can arrange tanks, but do not hire gear.
FAQs Archive - RedBoats

You may be able hire kit from BayPlay at Portsea, but contact them to confirm. I have had no experience with them.
www.bayplay.com.au

Generally the closer to the CBD you get the murkier the water, and a good dump of rain will, make it worse.

The scuba doctor has some info on shore and pier dives.
Melbourne Dive Sites - The Scuba Doctor

You may want to think about hiring a car and driving down, but it will still take you around 90 minutes, but will give you more flexibility, there are a couple of dive shops that hire gear that you could get to, without going too far out of your way.

The water temperature inside and outside the bay is 16 C or just under 61 F, at the moment

Hope you enjoy your time in Melbourne

Back
Top Bottom