Travel Souvenirs/Mementos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hombre (remember I am a Kalifornian)

Check out my post # 47 on the preceding page for packaging ideas--worked great for us so many years and so many trips
Perhaps you can modify it to work for you'al

SAM

You klever Kalifornians!

Luko - speaking of Tiki's - and knowing you "frequent the area" do you have any information on the missing Tikis from Cheif Roi Matas grave? I went out there last July and noticed they were missing, asked the grumpy boatman who wouldn't step on the island but stood in the water where they had gone, he insisted they were there so I wandered back and took a photo to prove they were in fact missing - next thing I know one very worried boatman rushed us back to Vila and sent us to the museum to let them know the tikis are gone. Museum curator was most distressed - if you or anyone you know have them please return them lol.

- a small cobra soaking in a bottle of alcohol I bought in Vietnam, it took 10 years to empty this bottle that eventually became a mascot.

You reminded me of a similar item I saw in the collection of a military man back in late 2005; he & his wife (one of my coworkers back then) hosted a party at their home. He collected prayer rugs from his middle east travels; had some beautiful stuff. But he also had this:

Annes%20Party%2012-2-05%20001_zpsitwjnrrx.jpg

The cobra inside looked real; if memory serves, mouth was open & fangs in view. Did yours look anything like this?

Richard.

As much as I don't want to drink from a bottle with creepy crawly animals in it, it's not like it suddenly be more appetizing with nicer animals, like a baby bunny

The cobra inside looked real; if memory serves, mouth was open & fangs in view. Did yours look anything like this?
Mine was a little more homemade, which ended up with some leaking at the cork level.
The cobra IS real : rather than a purely alcoholic drink it's a medicinal drink (as for much food and drink in Vietnam).

I went out there last July and noticed they were missing, asked the grumpy boatman who wouldn't step on the island but stood in the water where they had gone, he insisted they were there so I wandered back and took a photo to prove they were in fact missing - next thing I know one very worried boatman rushed us back to Vila and sent us to the museum to let them know the tikis are gone. Museum curator was most distressed - if you or anyone you know have them please return them lol.
In my time Roimata's island was a kind of "tambu", nobody would ever go on the island and -god forbids- try to find the grave. It was like an offense to ask the locals so, even the boats would pass the island as far away as they could.
And you see, I'm a little bit on the local side with these things, for instance when I was a kid one of my school/football friend fom Malekula told me about certain beliefs related to specific birds, since then I always spit and curse when a kookaburra sings on my left handside (you may hear me "pastet nasiko!"...phhhttew... ), the dive masters from Santo noticed that and asked me what for : I explained why and then after all the local divemasters in the club where spitting like me. I always thought I was an atheist but I might be very close to animists.
So in fact I respected the taboo and have never been visiting the place so far... hence I plead innocent, your honor.

I spit whilst drinking kava :wink: - the island land is still Tambu hence why the boatman wouldn't step out of the water and just pointed. Unfortunately as with all things, it's a great story so I noticed the resorts doing a day trip circle the island in a boat with a lunch provided for some ridiculous amount. Finding a boatman to take me and a photo journo friend there was a three day effort.

Makes you wonder if some passing yachtie souveniered them then wondered why his boat sank, cat got run over, wife ran off with the butcher and business went bankrupt. I know you respek kastom so I hope you took my post tongue in cheek :)

Bringing home local recipies and possible food preperations is a neat way to introduce a different cuisine to friends and family or remember you trip by.

I frequently accompany guests to the market to pick up some of their favorite local flavors. Sometimes it's a bottle of the local sambal asli (hot sauce), a package sambal pecel (peanut sauce), curry sauce or bawang goreng (fried shallots).

Pair that with your favorite recipe from the liveaboard or liveashore resort and invite friends and family over for taste after they watch your video or slide show.

In Indonesia, local handmade fabrics are also a great idea and easy to carry. Choose from hand painted Batik, hand woven Ikats or Embroidered materials used for ceremonial kebayas...etc.

Best thread ever, drrich2!
Best story, Wingy.
Hope that you get no prizes from luko.
We used to visit an art studio, buy a framed photo from the area, and have it shipped home. We are in downsizing mode now. We decided that we would begin to chose a charity that is local to our destination, and donate the money we would typically spend on the photography. We will be visiting Cozumel very soon, and plan to implement the new policy.

Back
Top Bottom