Travel Warning for MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just saw on the news were the State Department has issued a travel warning for Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Rivera Maya and Cabo San Lucas.This is because of increased gun activity. States that Americans are not the target. I'll still be going to Cozumel.

I think the state department has had a travel warning for years on Mexico. Is this something additional?

I read it. It's been updated. It looks like a reaction to the shootings in cancun.

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.
Source: Mexico Travel Warning

Last edited:
I will also continue to travel to Cozumel directly and Via Cancun (including overnight stays downtown). No one seems to be messing with tourists but it would be a good idea to be aware of you surroundings on the mainland. Like many large cities in America there may be areas where it is not a good idea to hang out in.

Sate department warning for the state of QR:
Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

Mexico’s deadly narco-violence creeps into its most popular tourist areas

Self-defense groups form in Playa del Carmen as tension rises after arrest of ‘Doña Lety’

This is maddening. They should also put Europe on the advisory list as well as most major US cities. Over reaction. Yes, there has been increased crime on the mainland, not as peaceful as it once was - it's scary - but not any scarier than being in shady areas of any city in the world. Cozumel locals are experiencing more home intrusions, and if tourism continues to decrease - this may get worse. But tourists are not the targets - especially if you're diving :)

I think they just lumped in Cozumel with the entire state of Quintana Roo. The island of Cozumel is a safe place.

Dave

Sad, but the increasing bad publicity is likely to harm tourism to Mexico. Not a day passes that there is not an additional story. I hope that Cozumel continues to be the wonderful, safe place I visited for the first time just 11 years ago. U.S. State Department Expands Travel Warnings For Mexico's Beachside Tourist Meccas

My honeymoon was on Isla Mujeres, coming up on 38 years now, seems like a long time ago

This is sad indeed. Those with ties to and experience in Cozumel and Qroo will most likely feel it is unjustified and we will continue to visit and spend money. However, I've had 18 (18!) texts, IM's and emails regarding this. It came too close on the heels of the tainted alcohol stories so it's made the news..... I'm hearing more fear about the targeting, corruption and abuse with little chance of receiving help or justice from the authorities than I am the actual crime this warns against. The media really painted a poor picture of how Americans in trouble are treated.
People are reminding me how crazy I am to visit there, they're stunned I haven't changed my plans to move there. Of course, most are people who already wouldn't visit Mexico because they're too afraid of "all the crime and murder". This just gave them some justification for their unfounded fears I'm afraid.
More worrisome are the phone calls from a couple of people who were set to visit for the first time this year. We talked, I told them my experience and that I in no way felt unsafe. I assured them they would have a wonderful time. They both cancelled their trips. Too much pressure from family and friends. One mom told me there was just no way she would take her kids there. This 'warning' is total BS compared to US cities and we all know it. That is a given. It doesn't change the fact that the US may have negatively effected tourism. THAT scares me....

The fact is that when a crime is committed in America, it's investigated.....not so abroad and especially Mexico. This alone causes stress to wouldbe travelers And will have a negative effect on tourism.

Me, I have no issues visiting Coz/Can....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom