Travel with long blades question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5ata

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from DEMA - traveled with my long blades as carry on in my soft bag and realized it was a major pain to deal with.

I was thinking that an inexpensive hard rifle case like this one would be the perfect solution to travel with my long blades since these cases are usually available in assorted lengths that can accommodate the fins. Then I could just check the bag in and the blades would be protected from damage in transit.

Anyone have experience with this and have any recommendations on a cheap case source?

I would think with a gun case you would have TSA all up in your face until they realize what is in there. Not to mention, you sure are going to disappoint the thief that steals the case thinking they have a nice gun just to have swim fins!!

I would just use a large non descript suitcase. Works for all the gear I put in there now and check in.

I put my fins in my speargun bag.

Works great!

R

...how about a small golf club bag? I travelled with a relatively compact fin bag, the Riffe bag, and had no trouble at all carrying it on. It was only after one flight was cancelled and there was no room for it on the next flight onboard that I've had problems. That's when it got lost (how baggage handlers could mistake Boston for Norfolk I'll never know). And lost baggage is getting worse, not better. So I just try to get on the plane early and leave as much room for other people's bags. Only time I had any issues with security was when I actually travelled with weights (usually buy some at my destination). They were a solid blockthat the x-rays wouldn't go through so they openned up the bag. Not too surprising.

But if you must check them, I'd say use a golf bag. Airlines treat golfers better than any other sporting types. Never charge extra. They make some relatively compact cases too. And these would be the least attractive to thieves. It wouldn't look like your travelling with a $5,000+ set of Callaway clubs.

Good luck in your search.

JB

5ata:
I was thinking that an inexpensive hard rifle case

Actually TSA is oblivious to rifle cases, unless: a) they have been near gunpowder, or (b) the are airtight sealed with a purge valve. They hate Pelican cases (they're hermetically sealed, you do the math)

Buy inexpensive rifle cases as you showed at WalMart. Bass Pro and Gander have fancier ones. The generic ones are made by "Contico".

...how about a small golf club bag?

But if you must check them, I'd say use a golf bag. Airlines treat golfers better than any other sporting types.

Yeah, they act like golfers aren't they penny pinchers that divers are. Imagine that.

I have free dive fins and use this... and hey- it's on sale: High Sierra 36 Wheeled Duffel, Navy, Luggage, High Sierra at Sportsman's Guide $54

Best rolling check-in duffel I have ever seen

Pull it through the airport. Then tote it like a gym bag or strap it to your back! BIG savings on this High Sierra® bag designed as an all-in-one regular Duffel, Wheeled Duffel and Backpack! Smooth-rolling inline skate-style wheels. Extendable, locking telescope handle for no-struggle portability. Hidden straps that convert it to a Backpack, with a zippered padded rear section for an extra cushioned layer.

Rugged 600-denier water-resistant Duralite™ fabric
Large main compartment with U-shaped zippered opening, 2 top-loading end compartments
Convenient drop-bottom compartment... never leave anything behind!
Reinforced stitching at stress points
Measures 16 x 14 x 36"h.

Always tag every bag (carry on, too) With three (yup: 3) seperate "routing tags" that show your airflights as well as final destination. Do this and travel with out a care of lost luggage.

Given my situation was utterly unintentional (got on at the last minute to a new flight after a cancellation and there was no room on the plane for a carry on) I wouldn't have been able to use your system RM (flew SEA-PHI-ORF via US Airways rather than SEA-IAD-ORF via United). But I am intrigued at the idea of three tags. One obviously comes from the airline, has the bar codes, and usually is placed around the handles. Do you put two additional on yourself? I have in the past taped a name tag on the outside of "unconventional" checked luggage (hard side bike case), but never thought of adding my flight routing. Where do you attached your routing? But given my experience, one failure mode to your system is if you don't get to actually fly on your ticketed itinerary. And another possible failure mode is the utter incompetence of some airline contract baggage handlers (lots these days are not airline employees, but are employees of companies contracted to supply baggage and other ramp service). And some of these folks just don't care.

And 5ata, it was travel specific golf bags I was thinking about. They seem like they'd work, but I've never even looked too closely at one.

JB

I have free dive fins and use this... and hey- it's on sale: High Sierra 36 Wheeled Duffel, Navy, Luggage, High Sierra at Sportsman's Guide $54

Best rolling check-in duffel I have ever seen

Measures 16 x 14 x 36"h.
Hmmm... Total dimensions l+w+h = 66".

Since I'm packing for a trip I've been checking this, the max without
paying for oversize on the airlines I've looked at - American, Delta,
US Air - is 62", which happens to be just the size of mine, not surprising
since I've flown with it before.

"+titleText+"
Baggage Allowances on Flights
US Airways | Baggage Policies
American and Delta will ding you for $100 for oversize. USair is a bargain, only $80.

That's all I checked, but the commonality of these three would leave me surprised
if that isn't an industry standard.

Not being argumentitive, but as someone who's busy packing for a dive + tourism
+ family visit trip and struggling with sizes and weights, I'd just like your
comment on your experience with your 66" bag. You just don't care about
the extra charge, or you just have to have the extra size?
Or the airlines don't really enforce the limit?

But I am intrigued at the idea of three tags. One obviously comes from the airline, has the bar codes, and usually is placed around the handles. Do you put two additional on yourself?

Yes we do indeed make up three additional per bag.

Jones, Joe H123456 <- Ticket Locator Number (PNR)
Sat 10 Nov
ORD>IAH AA 432
IAH>RTB TACA 431
Big Resort, Roatan
04-544-6765
RTB

I print them and laminate them at Kinkos. Get the waxed string from Walmart Craft Section or an electrical supply house. Punch a hole in the tags and wax string them to three seperate attachments on your bag. Waxed string does not come untied.

Those return address stickers charities mail you? Slap one on the back of each tag. That wide clear 2" Scotch packing tape is your best friend. Toss a roll and another of filament packing tape into your bag. Good for broken zippers and packing exotic purchases. Pacific basin gateways will confiscate tape from carry-on calling it a restraint device. Hell, I never had any restraint in my life, man.....

Then make up a set for the return trip routing (connex), this time, show your stateside address and phone.

AnotherNWDiver:
one failure mode to your system is if you don't get to actually fly on your ticketed itinerary.

It really doesn't matter. Whatever you do or get rerouted, it is tied back to your PNR Locator and also by your name.

ANWD:
And another possible failure mode is....

Heinlein's Razor (Murphy's Law) states : Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

Most people want to do their job. If a bag falls off of a conveyor or the tag gets ripped off mechanicaly, why not make it one step easier to get it back on track?

Hmmm... Total dimensions l+w+h = 66".

I'd just like your comment on your experience with your 66" bag. You just don't care about the extra charge, or you just have to have the extra size?
Or the airlines don't really enforce the limit?

Being softsided, you could easily lean on it and lose the 4". I have never had to and have yet to see an airline employee with a tape measure. Once again, it's too much work. You, however, lift the bag onto the scale and (ahem) only at their command.

That's where the overcharges come in. We have schlepped DVD players to the Galapagos, A microwave oven and popcorn to Honduras, outboard engine parts to Maldives, Compressor parts to Mindoro Philippines, and oh... those dive lights, batteries and toys for the kids.

Man, I have paid some overweight charges. The most annoying was the Red Sea trip where I was allowed 75# per bag going, but when I came thru Heathrow on the way back they banged me hard for being over 50#.

Do I have to have the XL size? Me? Yes. I got longblade fins. I usually go for two weeks. That is a lot of T-Shirts and I have never been accused of packing lightly. My travel BC can range from simple BPW to a bulky Viking/Poseidon, depending upon the zone.

The bags I pointed out? We have been using them for 9 years or so now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom