Travel with Personal Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trippingpara

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am looking to get the OTS Guardian FFM, but I am wondering about how it is to travel with? Do dive shops have problems with you bringing a personal regulator? I know the mask won't be a problem but I'm wondering how they'll feel about having to connect it to one of their 1st stages. Am I over thinking this (been known to do that now and then!) Or is it best that I bring my entire rig with me (1st stage, octo, BCD line, computer, etc.)? I'd prefer to just bring the FFM to kept weight down for flights. Unfortunately, I do need to bring the FFM as I had reconstructive oral surgery and no longer have the bite strength to hold a standard reg any more. Thoughts? Experiences?

It’s a question you’re going to have to ask individual shops. Some may be fine with it, some may not want you putting a piece of personal gear on their reg sets. You’re just going to have to call to ask each shop.

Remember that in the event of an FFM failure, you’re going to have to go to a normal second stage and normal mask. Are you medically able to use a normal second stage for the period of time required to ascend from your deepest depth, including any stops you may have to make?

Probably just as easy to bring your first stage too - my experience is they wouldn't mind connecting your 2nd but I haven't dove everywhere either.

There is something to balanced 1st and 2nd stages, mine are - I'm just not sure how big a deal that is though.

I would guess they won't mind if you can get it to them a day or so early with advance notice - i.e. don't check in for the 8am boat at 7am and expect it to be done. Some operations I've used, I've been glad the counter person is not also the tech.

Also you're using their reg for the duration so will need to rent it. I'd personally check it out daily and bring it with you - would not want to leave an expensive personal piece like a FFM where anyone could "borrow" it to try out. Also minimize the scuffs if it's got a plastic lens than if they store it.

I doubt any shop will want you to attach your 1st stage to their gear - strip their first stage during installation and who owns it?

Is your 2nd stage a Poseidon/clone. They may have a different fitting fitting, my old Xstream needed an adapter. I don't think new ones do though. Plus if it is a Poseidon it has an OPV valve and works on a different IP pressure. A good tuner can make it work but it might free-flow more.

Should work well on a liveaboard since you arrive a day early and they dedicate a reg/tank to you all week if you don't have one.

Probably have to fend off all the others wanting to try it though - I'd ask you if I saw it.

I think the best way is to call and ask the specific shop you are interested in diving with, some might be ok with it and some might not be.
I know several shops around here that dont mind you bringing your own FFM or even just 2nd stage, they will attach it for you pretty quickly.
But not every shop is like this, play it safe and ask in advance.

Hi, I am looking to get the OTS Guardian FFM, but I am wondering about how it is to travel with? Do dive shops have problems with you bringing a personal regulator? I know the mask won't be a problem but I'm wondering how they'll feel about having to connect it to one of their 1st stages. Am I over thinking this (been known to do that now and then!) Or is it best that I bring my entire rig with me (1st stage, octo, BCD line, computer, etc.)? I'd prefer to just bring the FFM to kept weight down for flights. Unfortunately, I do need to bring the FFM as I had reconstructive oral surgery and no longer have the bite strength to hold a standard reg any more. Thoughts? Experiences?

Dont know what an FFM is but I have a backpack I carry on the plane to philippines and mexico every year and my backpack I carry through the airport has in it my full bcd, full regulator, 2 dive computers, 2 masks, and my full 3 mil wetsuit.

no dive shop in P.I. or mexico will kick you out if you have your own equipment and ive had multiple rental equipment malfunctions in mexico where their reg reads 650 psi and im out of air and wetsuits that ended me up in hospital back in usa with large black patches of bacteria across my backside and legs and all bad areas.

needless to say if a dive center tells me to use their sub par dangerous gear ill use another shop.

bring all your own gear or eventually you will lose. either in hospital getting shots AND pills and losing work or potentially worse.

if ffm is PART of some other equipment i highly recommend completing the purchase and buying the entire setup whatever an FFM is

if ffm is PART of some other equipment i highly recommend completing the purchase and buying the entire setup whatever an FFM is
FFM stands for Full Face Mask.
It will fit on any regulator set up where you usually connect your 2nd stage so any set up will probably work with out a hassle, just have to unscrew old 2nd stage and connect the FFM.

Why not just bring your entire regulator setup? The rest of the setup is easy to pack compared to a FFM. I fit my reg setup, mask, dive computer, and GoPro w/ tray setup in what amounts to a padded laptop bag. Easy to carry onboard flights slung around my shoulders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom