Traveling and finding more experienced buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...My spouse would really appreciate that person being the same sex as myself!

Robert, have you thought about her being your buddy ?? My wife is my dive buddy most of the time and we really enjoy diving together!! Wouldn't she consider getting herself certified too ??

With all due respect, I'm sure Jesus may take good care of everybody, but I wouldn't want him to *call me to go up* while in the middle of a dive:D:D:D ...just kidding, but coudn't resist, sorr

Even living in far away Brazil, I had the opportunity to experience this Board's hability to join people together, as I could be of help to a north american diver who happened to come to Brazil all by himself and did some really thrilling dives with us over here!!! He just posted on the south american forum and a lot of people were there for him. I was lucky that he could stay longer in my city (Rio de Janeiro), so we went for more than 10 dives (this during a "business as usual" week... no holidays!). We had a lot of fun!!!!

Good luck on your certification and stay on the safe side of the sport!!!

HEY PGCOSTA: CHECK OUT "JESUS" CALLING US UP IN KEY LARGO:rofl3::rofl3:

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 35
HEY PGCOSTA: CHECK OUT "JESUS" CALLING US UP IN KEY LARGO:rofl3::rofl3:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: ...

WOW, just loved the T shirts!!! I really do HAVE to go there and dive with him so I can get one for me too!!!!

Hey Robert! After this picture, I think you'll want to be closer to Jesus too... :D

I really want the T shirt!!!!

Any chance you get, take a run over to Blue Stone in Thomasville. That is the last place I dived before putting the car in gear and driving to the PNW. I still am not sure which is colder, Puget Sound or the bottom of North Carolina quarries. Still worth going to either one.

I agree with much of whats been written: I would however caution that nice doesnt necessarily mean skilled.... I sometimes lack self-confidance, and once I was on a boat with a bunch of people whom I had never met. One man "acted" particularily knowledgeable (alarm should have gone off right there), so I shyly asked if we could be buddies. He said sure.... as we were about to dive I asked how many dives he'd had: he proudly said 14, had AOW.... At the time I had had 90 dives, was "only" OW. We went ahead and did the dive without any problems, but it certainly made me think a bit, about myself and others. Thats one reason my next class will be Rescue...

Hi DP,
Boone is in the Western NC Mtn's about 500 miles from Morehead City. The late George Purifoy of the Olympus Dive center is a distant cousin. We were going there the weekend after his death just to meet.
His son Robert Purifoy is now running the operation. I went up to him in September and introduced myself as Robert Peurifoy. Our names are spelled differently but we all go back to the same person from New Bern. I plan to do some diving with them next summer.
I look forward to wreck diving off the NC Coast. I am a fan of Homer Hickham, author of Torpedo Junction, the definitive book about the submarine warfare during WWII off the NC coast. He was also the author of Rocket Boys, which was made into the movie October Sky. As a scuba diver he worked for NASA training the astronauts in the weightless water tanks.

...We went ahead and did the dive without any problems, but it certainly made me think a bit, about myself and others. Thats one reason my next class will be Rescue...

I believe every diver with a conscience should go through this class. It takes us to new "depths" both in our vision of diving as a sport and in our own limits, which we do challange in the OW practice part of the course.

And, by the way, Robert: one of the best ways to find a good dive buddy is joining an adventure diver, advanced diver or rescue diver course... then you can check companionship *and* diving skills before going out on your own!

Have fun!

The guys I go diving with I met here on ScubaBoard. If you want to go diving sometime I would be glad to go with you sometime. I live in Bristol, TN. Just PM me if you want to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom