Traveling to Philippines for first time ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Costa Reefing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I will be traveling to Manila next friday due to school and have a day and a half to go diving. I have read as much as I can but wanted to feel some reassurance on my current plan or maybe even hear a new better idea. Anyway, if anybody has any recommendations or tips I am all ears.

Supposedly I arrive to Manila on Sunday around noon, the plan is to go straight to the bus station in order to find my way towards Batangas city where I will find a jeepney or trike to take me to to the final hotel /room where I'll be staying.

I'll try to get an afternoon or night dive in but who knows if there will be enough energy. The following day I could do 2-3 dives in the morning/ early afternoon and head back to Manila the same way I got there on bus.

Is this plan possible? Ive seen Subic Bay as an alternative as well but dont know if this place is potentially easier to get to.

Thanks for your help and thanks for dealing with my unorganized thoughts

Thank you for the informative link.

Any recommendations for accommodation for a solo diver in Anilao?

Spoiled old brat that I am, I would ask the resort for a private transfer direct from the airport to their door. So much easier to sleep off the jet lag in a van with a trusted driver. But you may not want to spring for the $100 or more that the transfer would cost. Sorry, my info on resorts and costs would not be current.

Getting there by public transport:
Anilao and Subic Bay
1. Bus to Batangas Bus Terminal, jeepney to Mabini and finally another jeepney/trike to your chosen resort in Anilao. There might not be any jeepeny running after 5pm.
2. Bus from Victory Liner Bus Terminal in PASAY to (i) Subic Free Port and get off at Harbour Point and walk to your hotel of choice. (ii) Same bus to Olongapo Bus Terminal, get the Blue jeepney just round the corner to Barrio Barretto. You need to tell the driver where you want to be dropped off. There are two dive resorts, Arizona and Mango, along the National Highway. Jeepney runs relatively late in the evening.

A first time visitor might find both ways a bit challenging but they are NOT.

Hello There,

I can recommend Subic Bay as a great destination with very close proximity to Manila and a variety of dive sites.

Subic Bay spent time as the host of Spanish, American and Japanese forces and as a result has a very eclectic range of over 20 wrecks spanning over 100 years. We have possibly the most famous wreck in the Philippines, the USS New York which is a WW1 Armoured Battle Cruiser along with Landing Crafts, Cargo Ships, Aeroplanes, 2 x M3 Halftracks along with a smattering of nice reef all with in 30 minutes of the dive centre.

We, the Arizona Dive Shop are a PADI 5 Star Dive Center that can cater for beginners right through to Trimix, Rebreather and Instructor programs.

We run 2 trips daily, both for 2 dives with an included hot snack, juice, coffee, drinking water and a hot towel to refresh after each dive. All our guides are either Divemaster or Instructors with a maximum 4 guests per DM.

We can also provide accommodation and transport from Manila.

Please check out our website at www.arizonadivesubic.com or send us an email at arizonadiveshop@gmail.com

Thanks Team Arizona!

All things set, I plan on departing Manila roughly around 2pm. Will I have trouble finding a trike or jeepney once I arrive at Batangas center because of the hour?

You will be stuck in traffic. Impossible to dive on the first day, you can dive on the second day and come back late to manila.

There is always trikes available if there are no jeepneys.

Travelled to both Anilao and Subic from Manila.

To Anilao leaving Manila around 7am it will take 2-3 hours

My last trip to Subic Bay leaving at 6am took 6 hours!

My advice would be to go to Anilao but with a dive op transport as they will know where they are going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom