Traveling to St Lucia in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So many questions...

I have a co-worker from St Lucia that claims he can get me good pricing at an AI in the north. It is good pricing compared to what I can find on the internet, but it is more almost twice the price of what I can rent a villa with a kitchen in Marigot Bay ($360/night vs $190/night - prices are for two people). The AI has good to excellent reviews, but not perfect. The villas in Marigot Bay are almost perfect (one or two bad reviews).

While I am there, I would like to do two days of diving and maybe a night dive. Which location would be better for getting to dive shops and dive sites (shorter boat rides)? I don't mind boat rides, but my buddy can get a little sea sick. Also, I have read of one small dive op that will let folks spear lion fish (Action Adventure Divers). Can I bring my own spear/sling? How about night dives? Has anyone done one there?

It seems there is a lot to do on the island, but any thoughts of the best things to do are greatly appreciated.

So many questions...

I have a co-worker from St Lucia that claims he can get me good pricing at an AI in the north. It is good pricing compared to what I can find on the internet, but it is more almost twice the price of what I can rent a villa with a kitchen in Marigot Bay ($360/night vs $190/night - prices are for two people). The AI has good to excellent reviews, but not perfect. The villas in Marigot Bay are almost perfect (one or two bad reviews).

While I am there, I would like to do two days of diving and maybe a night dive. Which location would be better for getting to dive shops and dive sites (shorter boat rides)? I don't mind boat rides, but my buddy can get a little sea sick. Also, I have read of one small dive op that will let folks spear lion fish (Action Adventure Divers). Can I bring my own spear/sling? How about night dives? Has anyone done one there?

It seems there is a lot to do on the island, but any thoughts of the best things to do are greatly appreciated.

Action Adventure Divers is in Soufriere. I can confirm Chester will take divers fishing for lion fish and he will put you on reefs with a LOT of lion fish.

I will also point out that most of the best diving is in or near Soufriere.

To your question about long boat rides or drives to dive sites or dive ops: keep in mind the roads in St Lucia are seriously slow due to narrow, mountainous. windy, and poorly maintained. You can count on at least an hour drive from Marigot to Soufriere (one way). The boat ride is probably of a similar order but I have never done it so not sure.

DB - When did you last visit? Did Chester have a way of collecting the lion fish to prevent injury (homemade zoo keeper)? Did you bring your own spear?

Last edited:
DB - When did you last visit? Did Chester have a way of collecting the lion fish to prevent injury (homemade zoo keeper)? Did you bring your own spear?

I was there in Jan. Chester runs a small shop on the north end of the beach in town.
375436-8bceaf3db05fed521036519f0dfefb4c.jpg

He has one boat probably 20 foot or so. Entry and exit are over the free-board (no ladder).
375437-9bc18ecbf8f99765f056441b055d1917.jpg

Chester supplied the gun and spear. He uses a short bungee powered gun with trigger on a pistol grip. The spear is a fixed five prong barbed tip on a short cord. Guests load the gun and spear the fish, Chester removes them from the spear by hand (sans gant) and bags the fish.

Using this method I brought back 56 lion fish on two dives. I left most with Chester since there were only my wife and I and one dinner remaining.
375438-0a5fd67f18be3093af978008632e6847.jpg
375440-5da7682813273114b3bd66ddd0470976.jpg

Attachments

• Adventure Dive.JPG
    Adventure Dive.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Adventure Div Boat 01.JPG
    Adventure Div Boat 01.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 21 Lion fist 01.JPG
    21 Lion fist 01.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 35 Lionfish 03.JPG
    35 Lionfish 03.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 74
So, did you or Chester trim the fish of their spines while diving? I've seen that done in Belize.

Back
Top Bottom