• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Traveling with carry on and fins

Discussion in 'General Travel and Vacation Discussions' started by Tattoo John, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Tattoo John

Tattoo John Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Greetings everyone,

Usually I check a bag and get all my scuba gear inside... but be that as it may I am taking a short trip and need to pack light and move fast. Long story short... has anyone bungee their fins to their backpack or carry-on and got onboard the flight without checking a bag? I'll be flying Spirit Airlines out of DFW... and how picky are they? (traveling with ScubaPro Seawing Nova - roughly 25 inches). The fins exceed personal item and carry on dims for Spirit... had friends say just bungee it... but not sure if I wanna take the chance at 4am... know what I mean?
    Thanks for any and all insights...!

2. Redfoot

Redfoot Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I think Spirit could go either way. I have not flown with them in a while, but sometimes they let people bring on coolers and luggage as "personal item" and other times I have seen them measure every single bag in their little metal size box and charge people for overages and checked bags.

Godspeed to you on Spirit Air. You are a much braver soul than I am.
    (not for traveling during these times, but for choosing Spirit!)

3. Jayfarmlaw

Jayfarmlaw Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    With an airline that charges you for EVERYTHING other than a seat, I'd be confident that they would charge you...but it may be all dependent on who is checking you in. By the time they are done with you, Southwest or SunCountry may be a better deal if available. We have been tempted to fly Spirit out of DFW to Cancun, ($170 over Day of the Dead) but the horrible reviews, canceled flights, parking, and baggage charges keep us flying SW out of OKC. If they gig you at check in, it looks like it could cost another $60-$80 round trip.

Good luck, safe travels, Let us know how it goes.

Jay

Tattoo John likes this.