Traveling with dive knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DolphinWannabe

Registered
Reaction score
Do people have security-check problems traveling with dive knives? Obviously you're not going to take it carry-on, you'll pack it, but since checked bags are subject to examination too, does it cause problems? Anything one should do to avoid a problem (like if you're checking in a bag with a dive knife, tell them up front)?

Always check mine and never have a problem even when they have opened the bag leaving.

No problems when checked. But I do love sometimes when the TSA dude asks...."Got anything sharp inside your suitcase?"" Heck yea dude...cant carry it on board, where the H*** do you think I put it?? But if you dont get spastic when you open it up all will be fine."" Yep....I get searched a lot.

No problem as long as it's in checked luggage, and in a sheath that won't come off in transit.

As long as its a small knife and not a huge Rambo type then there should not be a problem specially if your destination is a diving related area or Saudi Arabia, they give you problems any way!

Mine is always in the sheath attached to my BC in a checked bag and it has never been an issue.

We need to do some inter. island travel with carry on only. Has anyone ever tried to mail their knife ahead to themselves care of their hotel?
you can try, but I assume you're talking about a remote place - mail can be notoriously slow so if you want it one place then another that might not work. Unless you have multiple knives and mail them to several places. Then of course you'll want to mail all these knives back home, unless they're cheapies or you want to locate them to a local DM.

I'd suggest traveling with EMT shears (which are not 100% guaranteed to make it through carry-on either, but the odds are certainly much better.)

you can try, but I assume you're talking about a remote place - mail can be notoriously slow so if you want it one place then another that might not work. Unless you have multiple knives and mail them to several places. Then of course you'll want to mail all these knives back home, unless they're cheapies or you want to locate them to a local DM.

I'd suggest traveling with EMT shears (which are not 100% guaranteed to make it through carry-on either, but the odds are certainly much better.)

I'd go with your suggestion too or just take a sheath and buy a cheap throw away kitchen knife to use while you are diving - serrated.

Just another thought - IF you happen to get thru security AND they somehow happen to find the knife or sharp cutting implement on your person or luggage I would think you would be in a heap of trouble.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom