Traveling with Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefish!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Been diving for many years now, and finally decided to go into the advanced specialties. Master Diver and beyond. Problem is, my local SSI dive shop doesn’t have much demand for the advanced courses, so I’m at a loss when I have random questions. I was able to get into nitrox class, but it will be hit or miss if people sign up for anything after. Question is nitrox related. What is the practicality of using ean32 as a travel gas down to about 100ft, switching to air for the dive, then going back to nitrox for the ascent?

On 32% your MOD is 110' for a PO2 of 1.4. With that mix you get a bottom time of 30mins at 100'

unless my math is off...

Question is nitrox related. What is the practicality of using ean32 as a travel gas down to about 100ft, switching to air for the dive, then going back to nitrox for the ascent?
If you have done the course or read respectively, you won't ask question like that.
Read the relationship between operation depth and partial pressure of O2 on various nitrox mixes.

If you have done the course or read respectively, you won't ask question like that.
Read the relationship between operation depth and partial pressure of O2 on various nitrox mixes.

That particular scenario didn’t come up in class or in reading. It was just out of curiosity. MOD of 32 is 111, air 198. So I wondered what would happen. Nitrox between surface and 111. Air at depth.

That particular scenario didn’t come up in class or in reading. It was just out of curiosity. MOD of 32 is 111, air 198. So I wondered what would happen. Nitrox between surface and 111. Air at depth.
What do you mean by depth? Are you planning deeper than 111?

What do you mean by depth? Are you planning deeper than 111?

Eventually yes, but like I said, getting into the certification courses for deep diving, extended range, etc, is going to take awhile because a course with enough people to justify holding a class will be hit or miss.

What’s your thinking behind using 32% as a travel gas?

Your local SSI dive shop (unless you are on the north side of the lake then I don’t know) pp blends Nitrox so you can get any mix you want. If you think your going deeper than 110 get 30% or if headed to the Oriskany get 28%

Back
Top Bottom