Traveling with rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick

New
Reaction score
I have just taken a Semi closed rebreather course on the drager dolphin and am considering purchasing a rebreather. My question is this, i livein Canada and prefer to dive warmer water. Which means i have to travel alot and with that flying and the O2 bottle. Can anyone tell me how do the airlines take the O2 bottle? does it have to be completely empty? or can there be a small amount left in it so that it does not have to be cleaned again before filling? Does the valve have to come off?

Originally posted by rick
does the valve have to come off?

I believe that airline regulations in pretty much all countries require the bottle to be completely empty and the valve removed. Depending on where you're going, would it be possible to have it sent ahead by some means of surface transport? Or maybe it can be shipped by air as hazmat? That does sound like quite a dilemma, though, hope others have better answers than mine!

Originally posted by rick
I have just taken a Semi closed rebreather course on the drager dolphin and am considering purchasing a rebreather. My question is this, i livein Canada and prefer to dive warmer water. Which means i have to travel alot and with that flying and the O2 bottle. Can anyone tell me how do the airlines take the O2 bottle? does it have to be completely empty? or can there be a small amount left in it so that it does not have to be cleaned again before filling? Does the valve have to come off?
If you took a scr class why would you be asking about O2, scr units don't use O2 they use nitrox... Most airlines want all cylinders EMPTY, Delta allows 40 psi...

in many cases if its a draeger you just have to bring your valve, most dive destinations have small cylinders available that they will let you put the drager valve on, also don't forget the filling adapter or you may be SOL.

I travel with my CCR and both my diluent and o2 cylinders, any place that serves CCR divers knows The diver is aware of proper habdling and doesn't bother the divers when the cylinders are empty (unless they want to lose business).

If anyone got hurt it would probably be the diver not the filler because, if the fill station is filling the oxygen cylinder correctly they are using a needle valve and is doing a very slow fill to prevent heat buildupo due to adiabatic compression of a gas.

I asked a friend of mine who has a Buddy Inspiration and here is what he does.

* Leaves tanks empty with valves of.

* Leaves a letter in the transport case along with a flashlight that and a letter that says:

" These are air cylinders for use in scuba diving. We have left them unpressurzed with the valves off for your inspection. Please feel free to remove the tape covering the opening and use the flashlight provided to inspect the interiors. If possible please replace the tape covering the opening to help keep them clean inside. - Thank-you "

He has travelled quite a few places and says this has worked well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom