Traveling with Sidemount: What are your experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard good things about those. Just checked the specs, 2.75 lbs for the Apeks, 1.5 for the Aeris......both pretty light. Prefer the spring strap on the Apeks, prefer the price ($50) of the Aeris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As noted above, single tank side mount is an option with an AL 80. Lateral trim may be an issue depending on your system, but adding weight on the other side will fix most problems.

For travel I use a cam band to retain the lower bolt snap and then use a piece of 550 cord to larks head an upper bolt snap to the tank valve. That allows me to come up the ladder with the tank securely attached to the upper D-ring, rather than bouncing on a bungee.

The tendency for divers to come aboard with the top of the tank at risk of breaking a bungee and swinging around is one legitimate concern of boat captains. An upper bolt snap resolves that issue, and it's still compatible with an old school loop bungee.

Some boats don't mind a diver handing up an AL 80, but other boats may regard it as a burden on the crew or something that slows the boarding process. And, unless it's positively buoyant there is a risk of losing it if it's handed up rather than clipped off to a line first. My preference with a single side mount tank is to just come up the ladder with it on.

If the boat is really SM friendly, it would have a gear line amidships that you could clip a tank to (where pitching in swells is less of a problem), allowing you to come aboard with just one tank rather than two if you're doing deeper technical diving in SM, and haul the other tank aboard afterwards. You could theoretically come aboard with no tanks, but there's a fairly solid argument against being in the water with no tank at all while waiting to come aboard.

I prefer to dive non Catalina AL 80s with a 2 pound weight on the cam band to keep the tail from floating as the tank gets below about 1500 psi.

If you need trim weight to keep the tank side from going low you can add 2-3 pounds on the other side, either threaded on the waist belt, in a small weight pouch, or in a pocket in the wing itself on something like an SMS 50.

The SMS 75 is a little larger than needed for warm water travel, particularly if you plan to dive single tank. I prefer the SMS 50 for warm water travel as 25 pounds of lift is plenty, even with a 5mm wet suit, two AL 80s and an AL 80 stage (our Mexico cave diving preference).

I've found that standard valves work fine on both the right and left side with a loop bungee, so I don't worry about tank availability. You'd be well advised to carry a travel band and bolt snaps even if they claim they can have SM ready tanks available. A small cam band and a pair of rigged bolt snaps only weigh about a pound and a half and don't take up much space, but it's cheap insurance well worth having when the promised tanks aren't there.

-----

I'm picky about fins and I dive Jet Fins the way God intended. My concession to travel is to switch to OMS Slipstreams which are a lot lighter than Jet Fins, but have very similar swimming traits. In the XL sizes they are too large for a carry on suitcase, but we've had no problems getting all the equipment needed for our Mexico trips, including 3 regs, 3 travel bands, canister light and reels, in a Gne 2 Dive Caddy - and it will still fit in an overhead bin.

For those who have taken their sidemount rigs to resorts, what kind of hurdles or contingencies did you have to overcome, if any?
I have carried my SM gear to Bonaire (Buddy Dive) each year since 2010. I also carry a SS BP and wing each year, and have not had weight problems (I only wear t-shirts and shorts while there, so I carry very little else beyond dive gear). Somewhat like DA, I use cambands with bolt snaps for the bottom attachment points on the cylinders, and a loop of polyester static cord with a bolt snap around the valve at the top, so setting up cylinders is no different there than it is at home. The only issue is that my regs are DIN, and the cylinders I use on Bonaire are yoke valve AL80s. I have used DIN-to-yoke adapters without an issue, or I have simply swapped out the DIN bolt for yoke bolt and A clamp before heading down there on several occasions. SM shore diving or boat diving on Bonaire are both quite easy.

I've heard good things about those. Just checked the specs, 2.75 lbs for the Apeks, 1.5 for the Aeris......both pretty light. Prefer the spring strap on the Apeks, prefer the price ($50) of the Aeris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the deal breaker is how much your spring straps were :)

DA Aquamater, I'm not familiar with the 550 cord you refer to.
I use 600lb test solid braid chain saw pull cord for my neck & cam band bolt snap connections.
600 lb is over kill, but I happen to have a 500 ft spool.
Gives me the same ladder climb capability you're refering to. Although, I tend to hand up/clip off my tanks as I've had a total knee replacement.

Mike D

Last edited:
"550 cord" just refers to Type III parachute cord. Mil spec Type III paracord is made with a core consisting of 7 to 9 strands of 3 ply twisted nylon, surrounded by a sheath braided from either 32 or 36 strands of thinner nylon thread. Type III paracord has a minimum specified breaking strength of 550 pounds - thus "550 cord".

Commercial "paracord" is usually looks and functions similar to Type II paracord as it will usually be somewhat thinner with only 4 or 5 inner strands made from 2 ply twisted nylon, with a breaking strength around 400 pounds. Obviously, 400 pounds is plenty for side mount applications, and Type 1 paracord (a single 3 ply twisted strand for the core with a 16 thread woven sheath and a 95 pound breaking strength) would be plenty. However, the thicker Type II and III cords are nice as they are less likely to get themselves knotted up.

In comparison, the "gold line" found in the touristy sections of caves is comparable to Type IV paracord with an 11 strand core and a cover woven from 32, 36 or 44 threads. It will have a breaking strength of around 750 pounds.

I've traveled numerous times with me side mount set up. Nomad LTZ, HOG Regs, 2 Riggings, 2 Yoke Adapters, mask, fins(jets), and 3 mil suit. All of that along with my laptop, some trunks, a couple t-shirts and hygiene kit fits into my backpack that I carry on(North Face Router). I just grab 2 tanks at a time from the operator and a few lbs of weight and dive it out.

No problem whatsoever in every country with S80, with one to several tanks .
However, in countries where heavy steel tanks are the norm, I still use my BM stetting, as I wouldn't feel comfortable with only one heavy tank on one side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom