Travelling in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malaysia-islands:
Good for you local divah. For would-be visitors, the only outfit to dive with is East Marine. I almost booked with Langkawi Coral until I found out about the wet suit thingy. Plus, Langkawi Coral caters more for the snorkelers who come by the dozen, they couldn't give a jack about fellow divers needing wet suit. I dived with East Marine for RM280. I guess the difference was minimal and the service was outstanding.

Indeed, the southern point of Payar has really some nice and colorful corals. I still find that surprisingly. I did not see any sea turtles though, but the groupers were huge. Not to mention the sharks :)

That is amazing -- we had almost the exact same experience and same reaction. I thought I was being a little paranoid when I was pushing for a wetsuit. To be honest, I wouldn't have changed operators if they had just been able to tell me what the dive conditions were. The fact that the salesperson had probably never been in the water before just turned me off.

Turns out the wetsuit was more useful than just for warmth. My group ran into either tiny jellies or sea lice, and I got a nice fiery rash on my arm and leg that took 2 weeks to fade. I was luckier than another diver who got it on his lips and neck.

I dived with East Marine and would be unlikely to use them again for a whole bunch of reasons(though there's no doubt they are much more attuned to divers than Langkawi Coral seem to be).

I prefer Pro Divers on Langkawi. More personalized service, not a cattle boat, very diver-oriented (instead of a boatload of snorkelers).

Hi Quero,

Why you say that?

East Marine still doing well in Pulau Langkawi, I been there couple of time many years a go.

Quero:
I dived with East Marine and would be unlikely to use them again for a whole bunch of reasons(though there's no doubt they are much more attuned to divers than Langkawi Coral seem to be).

I prefer Pro Divers on Langkawi. More personalized service, not a cattle boat, very diver-oriented (instead of a boatload of snorkelers).

Jason Ooi:
Hi Quero,

Why you say that?

East Marine still doing well in Pulau Langkawi, I been there couple of time many years a go.

I simply got no more than average service from East Marine--not really bad, but not outstanding either. The boat was loaded with snorkelers, they never checked my c-card, the dive sites were far from memorable. The wait at the loading area was long and boring, we had to make our own way to their pier, etc. When I went with Langkawi Pro Divers, they came and collected us from our lodging, put us on a boat with a really manageable number of divers only (no snorkelers), did great briefings, took us to sites not destroyed by too many visitors, made the whole experience fun and enjoyable. It basically comes down to customer service.

Unprofessional bad reputation dive operator, too bad shared same boat with snorkeler.

Quero:
I simply got no more than average service from East Marine--not really bad, but not outstanding either. The boat was loaded with snorkelers, they never checked my c-card, the dive sites were far from memorable. The wait at the loading area was long and boring, we had to make our own way to their pier, etc. When I went with Langkawi Pro Divers, they came and collected us from our lodging, put us on a boat with a really manageable number of divers only (no snorkelers), did great briefings, took us to sites not destroyed by too many visitors, made the whole experience fun and enjoyable. It basically comes down to customer service.

localdivah:
I have one totally free day on my own in Penang, while on a business trip. My initial research showed that my most likely bet for diving will be Langkawi. I also came across East Marine Divers, which will do a package for me with equipment, pickup, etc. for RM 320. Seems a bit steep given the cost of living the last time I was in Penang, but as long as I am not being given the rich tourist price (which, relatively speaking, I guess I am), I'm ok with it. But I've also worked as a divemaster in Asia and Latin America, so don't need any pampering.

Are there any good options besides Langkawi for a day trip? Any other shops I should check out besides East Marine? Any resources on type of conditions to expect? I had always wanted to check out the muck diving in Sipadan -- will this be similar at all?

Thanks,
Louie
Hi,

For Malaysia diving.. I think i can help you to find a cheapest and an experience lady instructor.

mantaRay

manta~ray:
Hi,

For Malaysia diving.. I think i can help you to find a cheapest and an experience lady instructor.

mantaRay

Manta Ray
Any sugestions appreciated, hope to be heading that way soon.
Tks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom