Tray + lights for < $150?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petu

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I have a GoPro Hero 3+. I'm looking to buy a tray, filter and lights for a scuba trip (max depth 15m). I already have the underwater housing.

Can someone recommend what equipment I should buy? I"m having a hard time sorting through it all.

<$150 is ideal. <$200 could work.

I don't think I can get this because my trip is in about 3 weeks and it might not arrive in time..

Any ideas staying to US suppliers? @runsongas

Last edited:
Make them yourself man. It’s so easy.

Get 2 thin sheets of aluminium and bike grips. Drill a hole in top of tray and stick GoPro mount on.

Those Chinese dive lights are $20 each on Amazon - without batteries. A Two-pack of the rechargeable batteries and a charger will will set you back another $15 or so for two lights. Exact same thing sells on scuba.com for three times as much.
Aluminum bar stock at Home Depot for a couple bucks.
Camera thread adapter assortment, ten bucks.
Couple of your favorite ball-head adapters, twenty bucks.
You'd have a pretty stylin' rig for less than a Benjamin.

@toddster541 how would I connect those to ball-head adapter? They look like flashlights.

Well, there are all kinds of ball head adapters (though you could certainly rig up something even cheaper than that) some of which have clamps on them. However, I would probably zip tie them to a piece of aluminum bar stock with a camera thread adapter drilled into the middle and thread that onto a camera-stud ball-head. Might even experiment with epoxying a small aluminum block to the light, drilled and tapped for the camera screw.

Or screw a short piece of aluminum conduit onto the ball that the light will socket into, and hold it in there with a couple of set-screws. The light is a pretty robust aluminum tube.

I can probably think of a couple more ways before I finish my beer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom