Treading water for 10 minutes - how hard can it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 6'5, 220". Wearing a 3mm wetsuit in fresh water, I sink unless my lungs are full. If I exhale, I will hit the bottom of the deep end (10') of the pool we use for training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note on breath holding. You sinkers out there may be taking a breath but are you really taking a deep, chest expanding deep breath?

Just a note on breath holding. You sinkers out there may be taking a breath but are you really taking a deep, chest expanding deep breath?

Seriously....? Pardon the sarcasm but gee whiz, I never thought to try an actual DEEP breath. That would take all the fun out of sinking like a stone.

Oh, by the way.....you eventually have to breathe OUT as well.

This article is hardly the definitive source of information for buoyancy of the human body....but here is an excerpt.

Fred Lanoue found individual personal buoyancy ranging from 7 lbs. positive (floaters) to more than 5 lbs. negative (sinkers). When he tested young African-American males at Morehouse College he found that 30% had negative buoyancy - a much greater percentage than among the white students at Georgia Tech. This result is now regarded as controversial. It seems unlikely that he would have deliberately produced misleading results, but racial origin is unlikely to have been the only difference between the two groups of students that would have an influence on personal buoyancy.

full article:
Drownproofing

The earth is not flat and some people just don't float without kicking or sculling. I'd be happy to demonstrate the phenomenon if you are ever in this part of the country...

This crowd seems to be hard to convince, and in person demo might be the only way

For my final try, I attempted to keep my head above the surface by kicking my feet and sculling with my hands and arms. I didn't utilize my breathing to control my buoyancy, but simply breathed as needed to support the level of physical activity in which I was engaged. I didn't do this in "frantic mode" but did try to move with the same level of vigor with which we see the typical OW student conduct their tread. I was completly surprised at how very strenuous - and largely innefective - this approach was in keeping my head above water. And, it got worse as time went on. As I started to get fatigued my breathing became labored, my kicking and sculling became less effective, and I had to work harder at keeping my head above water and/or hold my breath briefly as my mouth/nose ocassionaly dipped under the surface. It was a vicious cycle. Completing the task was not impossible, but I was genuinely glad when the 10min was up. This approach was not only much harder than either of the other two, and not only far less effective at keeping my head abover water... it actually seemed to pull me UNDER the water as much as it kept me above the water.

Ray

I think that there is the point - it is in the how one treads. I know people who have been taught how to properly tread water and also those who haven't. Doesn't matter if they are a sinker or floater, the ones who know how to tread have a lot easier time doing it. Granted, the sinkers do have to work a little more at it, and the floaters use very little energy. When I was going for bronze star swim course, we had a challange to tread water as long as possible. I treaded for over 30 minutes (this was when I was about 14) before becoming too tired. So it doesn't really matter if people are floaters or sinkers, but everyone (myself included, I just finnished my OW) should know how to tread water effectively.

I couldn't agree more...even with the part about playing water polo in high school, since I did too :)

I did too - but back when I was playing I was at 220 (6'1) without the belly. Recently I tried the classic water polo position again and found it much more difficult to keep my shoulders and one arm completely out of the water. After 10 minutes I was breathing hard...
Treading water in a regular way or floating is no problem - even over longer periods - as long as you don't get cold...

Back
Top Bottom