Treasure dive yields I Phone a trolling motor and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don
Once again I will suggest that over the snow bound winter months you create a 1/2 hour or 45 minute power point presentation about the underwater world that you have photographed. Let the word out to the local service and civic organizations as well as the fishing and boating clubs. They generally all are searching for programs of interest .especially local activities

So many of the service clubs have yearly fund raising events which creates a surplus of money which they distribute to local charities and activates -- such as yours

I strongly urge you to investigate creating a power point presentation and begin lecturing

When lecturing to the service clubs -- Rotary , Kiwanis etc don't be bashful let it be known you need better and additional equipment in order to continues your exploration.

If you have difficulties presenting in front of a group -- many do- enroll in a speech class at a local community college - one class of 18 weeks will do wonders

Good luck,
Sam

Hello Sam,

I wonder if I would require a 501c3 in order to solicit funds from organizations such as those? This is not something I have done before and would have little help in this. I will put this suggestion before a friend of mine from the local history center to see what resources he may be able to provide.

I may just need a little extra prodding, Sam. Thanks for your support.

DD

Don,
I am the absolute worse person to give advice on non profits and funding
But
My dear wife Betty is a treasure trove: she was President of the local Rotary club, has a BS in Accounting, A MS in Business management and a Doctorate in School finance and retired as a College President.

So I rely on Betty,,,Her solicited opinion was that
1) You must have a specific project
2) Any and all funds provided must only be spent on the project and must be accounted for
3) The funds are a gift or grant - no taxes
However better check you local & state laws .

First step is to develop your program and begin with the lecture circuit . Once the word gets out away we go .

Some organizations will embrace you, others will reject you

You will be called up on as a program by originations you did not know existed and meet people who are very interested in what lies underwater near your home and others who are bored and have absolutely no interest in underwater exploration.

Frankly I think you have the beginning of a great program that should be shared

Good luck and remain in touch

Sam

Sounds like I need to compile some video starting with the fluff, pretty fish, neat rock formations and end with the refrigerator sized pollutants that need removing. I have a location in mind that I am loathe to dive because of the amount of litter. Sinks, water heaters, all kinds of trash including many abandoned tires and the fridge in the last video. Do you think that should my angle, Sam? Cleaning up the mess? There certainly is one in this harbor.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom