Treat every dive like a tech dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IANTD World Headquarters - Technical Programs

Please read each technical programs course "purpose". This pretty much backs up my point about gas.

Doing a dive outside your training is not a good example and I think you completely missed my point. So I'll say it in different words. A diver who has 5,000 dives to recreational depths has likely experienced gear failures, environmental challenges, buddy issues, etc. These experiences make him a better diver because he has faced real life challenges. Compare that to someone with 200 dives, half of which are technical and has not experienced these challenges.

Now going back to the straight technical courses I linked above, how would those courses benefit a basic open water recreational dive? A better question would be, of the two example divers I mentioned, who would you choose to be your dive buddy on a basic open water recreational dive?

I think you're misunderstanding what you're reading.

I personally know people with thousands of dives who are in no way more qualified than some who have only a couple hundred. Number of dives tells you less about a diver's qualifications than aptitude, mindset, training, and the breadth of experience. Someone with thousands of dives in a localized area are only experienced in that area ... and in many cases completely ignorant in others that someone with way less bottom time may be much more familiar with. Thousands of hours in open water in no way helps you navigate your way through a cave or inside a wreck. Experience in open water doesn't teach you how to anticipate problems commonly encountered in overheads, it doesn't teach you how to plan a dive below recreational depths or how to manage a deco schedule. It doesn't teach you why going deep on recreational equipment is a profoundly bad idea ... which is why it's so common to read about such diving attempts in the A&I forum.

A commonly heard mantra among untrained divers entering into caves is "I'm an instructor, I know what I'm doing" ... yeah, maybe in your familiar environment, but teaching Open Water classes in no way qualifies someone to enter an overhead environment, regardless of how many thousands of dives they have. It doesn't even help you deal with common problems encountered in a different recreational environment if you're unfamiliar with such things as surf entries, cold water, or downwellings (to name just three of many).

Your assertion that one of the biggest killers in tech diving is breathing the wrong gas is simply not supported by the facts. In cave diving the biggest killer ... by far ... is getting lost. It's not that you're breathing the wrong gas ... it's that you're going to run out of the gas you're breathing before you find your way out. Even if it's the "right" gas, you're going to die if you run out of it.

For recreational divers who are chasing depth, the most common cause of death is underestimating your ability to get there and back. Getting to your target depth is easy ... getting back to the surface is the hard part. Divers who haven't been to those depths often underestimate how quickly they'll go through their available gas at depth ... because while the mathematics are easy enough to figure out, the lack of experience belies their ability to understand the reality of actually doing the dive. Perhaps they fail to factor in how stress and narcosis changes your breathing rate and cause you to not just go through your gas faster than planned, but also induce other difficulties with things like buoyancy control or problem-solving that you thought you had "mastered". When it comes to "mastery", tech divers have a whole different definition for that term, and a large part of the training is learning why their recreational-level "mastery" of buoyancy, trim and propulsion are insufficient, and can get them into really bad situations unless they refine their skill or develop some new techniques. Skills that are perfectly acceptable, and even laudable for open-water applications simply aren't good enough.

The biggest difference between the mental approach to recreational training and tech training often boils down to this ... the former teaches you how to deal with the common risks while the latter emphasizes learning how to avoid putting yourself into a situation where you might have to. Sure, the tech diver learns how to deal with failures, but at a level that would cause most recreational students to quit. "Mastery" isn't the act of watching an instructor do something, and then repeating the action back to him. In a well-taught tech class your instructor is going to throw failure after failure at you, often multiple at a time or in rapid succession, until you find your breaking point. They're not going to tell you when it's coming, or which failure you're going to encounter ... it's going to be as close to "real life" as they can make it in the artificial environment that is a class. And you repeat the process over and over until you can handle multiple failures like they're no big whoop ... because your life depends on it. That's why so many people fail tech classes their first time through. And it's why the tech diver with only 200 dives will have experienced failures to a far more meaningful degree than the recreational diver with 5000 dives may have.

But while the tech training is more thorough, it is not necessarily the case that tech equipment, mindset, or training will make the recreational diver more safe ... in many cases the added task loading would make you less safe. Instead, focus on training that's specifically designed for the diving you're going to do. Choose a good instructor ... they're not as common as they should be, and that's unrelated to agency. Pay attention to the curriculum. Ask questions ... preferably those that begin with the word "why" ... because while knowing the "rules" is good, knowing why they matter is better, and if your instructor cannot explain the "why" to you in clear language, they're not really qualified to teach that class. That, unfortunately, is the most glaring shortcoming in recreational dive instruction ... instructors who lack the experience needed to understand the "why " of the curriculum. And again that boils down less to number of dives than it does a breadth of experience in different environments and circumstances.

Once you're done with class, pay attention to what you're doing ... there's a reason for everything they teach, and divers who take shortcuts are putting themselves at greater risk than they should be. Choose your dive buddies carefully ... there's more to being a buddy than just getting into the water with another diver and swimming around in their general vicinity. Develop your awareness ... putting on that mask eliminates your peripheral vision, and induces a sort of "tunnel-vision" mindset that causes people to make the most common mistake in recreational diving ... "assume". Don't assume. Develop a new habit ... the act of looking around you every few seconds to see what's going on that you might need to know about. Like the location of your buddy, the amount of gas in your tank, any obstacles you might want to avoid, or ... in way more cases than you might think ... that really cool pelagic or marine mammal that's checking you out (you'd be amazed how often I see people getting buzzed by a sea lion who tell me later they never saw it).

Fundamentally, everything you need to know to properly manage risks in a recreational setting is at least introduced in your OW class ... or the follow-on classes that focus on specific skills or environments. Yes, tech classes are more thorough. And yes, they introduce redundancies that can help reduce certain risks. But those additional skills and equipment management come at a cost ... and often the cost is greater than the benefit. Every choice you can make in scuba will come with benefits and drawbacks, and you need to be able to understand what they are and weigh one against the other to determine how best to manage your risks.

Experience isn't always the best measure in that respect ... someone with thousands of dives, and no experience in doubles will still have some degree of difficulty managing doubles when they first begin to use them. I remember well my first time in doubles ... I had nearly 1,000 dives by then, and I struggled more than a dive buddy at the time ... Lamont ... who had less than 50. Part of it was aptitude. A bigger part was that I had to "unlearn" certain habits that he hadn't learned yet. In this respect, experience didn't help ... in fact, it held me back. That's not an unusual problem in scuba for those who have become used to doing certain things in certain ways.

In summary, recreational divers who aspire to be good at what they do should focus less on what tech divers are doing, and more on what they were trained to do ... there is no such thing as complete "mastery" of skills ... there's just a continuum of improvement in both the physical and mental aspects of how you apply the skills you were introduced to in your training. Focus on what you were taught. And if risk mitigation is truly your goal, avoid environments you have not been trained in ... therein lie risks you may not even be able to imagine, much less are equipped to deal with. If you want to go there, do your research, find a qualified instructor, and take a class that will get you there safely.

Oh, and to answer your last question ... training doesn't make someone a good buddy ... attitude does. I've met some very experienced tech divers who make horrible dive buddies. And I've met some fairly inexperienced divers who make great ones. My current alpha buddy has less than 100 dives ... and I'd take him any day over some divers I know with thousands of hours and dozens of courses in their diving resume. Choose a dive buddy based not on their experience, but on their willingness to BE a dive buddy ... to think not in terms of "my" dive, but rather "our" dive. That's the guy who will be there for you if you should find yourself in a circumstance of need.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob. Definitely the best post in this thread. In hindsight, I will admit my language in that post may have down played technical diving. This conversation is a difficult one to have, because there's so many levels of diving and so many different environments and were trying to stay on topic of basic open water. Nevertheless, your post was informative and I'm going to read it twice. :wink:

Too bad this board doesn't have a "double-like" button...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Where is this definition of a technical dive as one that makes getting PAID the criteria. I keep hearing this but never have i seen it. A 200 ft dive is a technical dive paid or not. If being paid is the test than all instructors are doing technical dives in water sessions.

I'm surprised that this is so controversial. Is there some sort of "tech" branding or marketing issue here that I'm not aware of? Seems like just a semantic argument.

The OP didn't say that every dive was a tech dive, he just said treat it like a tech dive. To me, that just means think about the plan ahead of time and make sure that you have appropriate equipment for reasonably foreseeable failures.

Not such a terrible concept, sort of like saying that every dive is a decompression dive.

If you really want to be precise with your language, if you aren't getting paid, it's by definition a recreational dive.

If you really want to be precise with your language, if you aren't getting paid, it's by definition a recreational dive.
Well, now if you want to be really prescriptive in your approach to language, you may be right. OTOH, languages evolve and words take on different meanings than they originally had (a more descriptive view on language). And "rec" vs "tec"/"tech" have, as we all know very well, taken on specific meanings in current terminology.

If you want to pick nits like that, may I suggest the UK (?) English term "sport diver" - which you probably are well aware of? It means, unambiguously, someone who dives for their own satisfaction, not for pay. That term doesn't distinguish between "rec" (open water, no hard or soft overhead) diving or "tec" (hard or soft overhead, direct access to the surface not an option) diving.

Where is this definition of a technical dive as one that makes getting PAID the criteria. I keep hearing this but never have i seen it. A 200 ft dive is a technical dive paid or not. If being paid is the test than all instructors are doing technical dives in water sessions.

I'm well aware of the common usage of "technical" and "recreational" with regard to scuba diving, at least in the USA. I was just responding to the idea that you couldn't apply tech diving thinking to shallow reef dives because there was some sort of bright line between rec diving and tech diving.

The point that I was making was that language means what we decide it means. So the term "recreational" in almost every context besides scuba diving means that you are doing something for fun. Hence the idea that even if you dive to 200 feet on trimix, if no one is paying you to do it (or if you aren't on a volunteer recovery team or something), you are doing the dive for fun. So that would be a recreational activity.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2015 at 05:28 PM ----------

If you want to pick nits like that, may I suggest the UK (?) English term "sport diver" - which you probably are well aware of? It means, unambiguously, someone who dives for their own satisfaction, not for pay. That term doesn't distinguish between "rec" (open water, no hard or soft overhead) diving or "tec" (hard or soft overhead, direct access to the surface not an option) diving.

I like that! That makes a lot more sense. Then we can break sport diving down into overhead and non-overhead diving, which seems to be a much more logical bright line.

But I think that we are stuck with the term "technical" on this side of the pond for the near future. Maybe when we adopt the metric system, we can also adopt that terminology...

:D

Well, following this has not been a total waste. I learned a new word, "bimble". Had never heard it to my knowledge and had to look it up to make sure it was a "real" word although it was obvious what it meant. Nice word. Think I will bimble off to bed.

I have not read all of the posts but yes he makes sense. I am starting to get into tech diving and I am learning things that make me wonder "why the hell was I not taught this before?" I am realizing that the yellow little octo that I carried is useless crap! If you have to go for it in an emergency it does not breath as easily as my primary second stage which I breath in non-emergencies. I am thinking of throwing it (not selling it because I believe it to be crap) and getting another primary second stage. I am also a believer in wearing it in a bungee around the neck than clipping it randomly somewhere! I also believe that in case my buddy goes is in an out of air situation he will not have the time to look for where I have clipped my "octo." He will most likely pull the one from my mouth so I keep it on a 7 foot hose.

After taking Essentials of Tec courses I am getting more and more convinced that this so called "rec diving" industry is full of nonsensical short cuts designed to speed up certification rather than to create a better diver. The split fins, snorkel and BCD jacket culture that I was introduced to in my OW class is something I have had to unlearn even within recreational limits to become a better diver. Why waste people's time with such tactics that save instructors time and do nothing more. I wish someone had strapped me in a BP-Wing from day 1 and that would have caused my weight belt to be so much lighter.

Back
Top Bottom