Tres Pelicanos....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "sometimes" came from Jeanie. I was hoping to get some divers personal experience with this option.
I would think that's because Merdiano has few to rent and it would depend on demand for those. TresP wouldn't own any as there just wouldn't be much demand. I always dive 100 air tanks in Coz, but with the multilevel dives - just don't see a need for Nitrox, which I do want for square bottom wreck dives in Florida, North Carolina, and Ontario. Some still like them tho. Good luck. I'm sure they will try.

here's some info on EAN AL100's

Fatty tanks of Nitrox!

Even if you can get them all anyone needs to know that is unless they are filled to 3300 psi (usually not) they are only 91 cf (air or nitrox). That, and that the weight and buoyancy characteristics are way out crazy…add six pounds of lead and be very careful at your safety stop.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Way out crazy may be pushing the hyperbole. I see lots of divers using 100s. Back when I did, and with nitrox might again, the only thing I noticed was they add a lot of buoyancy empty and a little extra weight is helpful for that safety stop or you end up fighting it. It isn't like it is some big, new thing. I used them when I was new to diving and it wasn't a big deal.

Eric has a fair amount of experience with al 100's from the days before we bought our own steels and with other trips abroad. Will probably switch to his steel backplate. Not our first choice but managable.

Way out crazy may be pushing the hyperbole. I see lots of divers using 100s. Back when I did, and with nitrox might again, the only thing I noticed was they add a lot of buoyancy empty and a little extra weight is helpful for that safety stop or you end up fighting it. It isn't like it is some big, new thing. I used them when I was new to diving and it wasn't a big deal.

Well Chief,

You must be a better diver than I, or at least more fault tolerant. I tried them several times to see if we might offer them to our divers since they cost half as much. I hated them to say the least. ON the other hand I may be a bit picky since even carrying an extra 2 lbs bothers me.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom