Tribolube 71 for loop and DSV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
Good info here.
I am using Christolobe also but have you ever wondered about "health compatibility".
Indeed in the DSV, we always have a bit of residue and I am sure some end up in our body...So is silicone better than lube? Shouldn't we use oil like olive oil? I think I sound stupid:yeahbaby:

So for a DSV barrel I guess I'd choose a more sticky lubricant if it does not seal well, or Tribolube 71 if it does not move easily enough. At least that's my understanding, others may chime in, who have compared all of these more extensively.

The other thing to consider is how hard the o-ring material is if it won't seal reliably...
Typically 70 Shore A, I changed some o-rings in a AL Mistral II mouthpiece that refused to seal to softer 50A and immediately fixed the problem. The bore was slightly egg-shaped and 70A o-rings of the same AS568 size spec wouldn't deform enough to seal reliably.

Thanks, that's a good tip. I think for o-rings sealing at ambient pressure, manufacturers may already be using soft o-rings with low shore grades. I thought that's what the red o-rings are...

Regarding my comment on different lubricants depending on the DSV condition, I was thinking of the DSV types where the barrel seals without an o-ring, just the grease. For the OP, I think I would personally stick to Tribolube which is likely what the manufacturer recommends.

I am using Christolobe also but have you ever wondered about "health compatibility".

Good thinking... In this case I think I would trust the manufacturers and their certification processes. As far as I understand, at normal temperatures we do not need to worry about inhaling Christolube. Only its burned residuals can cause "polymer fume fever" if inhaled.

The thing I actually am worried about though is loop infections, so I'd just stick to manufacturer procedures regarding lube and disinfecting routines.

For the OP, I think I would personally stick to Tribolube which is likely what the manufacturer recommends.

Both silicone lubricant (Molycote 111) and PTFE lubricants (ChristoLube MCG 111, Tribolube 71 or Halocarbon 25-5S) are specified for breathing loop components (JJ-CCR) :)
I am currently happy with SGM494 silicone.

Both silicone lubricant (Molycote 111) and PTFE lubricants (ChristoLube MCG 111, Tribolube 71 or Halocarbon 25-5S) are specified for breathing loop components (JJ-CCR) :)
I am currently happy with SGM494 silicone.

How nice that the JJ uses such a broad spec... Then I would pick what works best, so if silicone allows the barrel in question to move easily while passing vaccum tests, great. If it is hard to move, you can try PTFE lubricants, in particular the thinner variants for dynamic applications. I'd still not want to get any on the mushroom valves though.

I have recently tried the InfinX MRO 2505 by Halocarbon - it's less viscous than Tribolube 71 and it seems to be leaving much less solid residues. However the shipping cost to CONUS by Halocarbon website is ridiculous (18$ for a 2oz tube). Has anyone found a cheaper way to get it?

Well, shipping costs me $164.64USD or $302.02 Australian Dollars for a 2oz tube delivered
This is why I use 111

Also why I invented driving returnable bottles and cans across the border, ten years before
Kramer and Newman

So, I am a minority here... I use O2-compatible grease everywhere on diving equipment for two reasons.

First - standardization. To my best knowledge, O2 grease won't have adverse effects. I don't want to haul multiple lubricants with me and prefer to stick to a tried-and-true approach that I know will work in most cases. I do this with other gear items, too.

Second - I am pretty good with inspecting and cleaning the gear. I haven't come across an o-ring that desperately needed lubrication or had to be rescued in some shape or form through silicone grease.

While I fully understand that O2 compatible grease costs more, proper lubrication procedures ensure that tubes last me a very long time. Also, I fully grasp the fact that low-pressure applications do not need O2 compatible grease. I simply choose to streamline my dive ops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom