Tricks to combat fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, it should be noted that IF you have a mask with any kind of optical coating on it, burning it or using an abrasive (like some toothpastes) could totally eff up that coating. Also, an optical coating is not necessarily something you can see. A coating that results in a tint is obvious. An anti-glare or anti-reflective coating could be there and not really be obvious that there is a coating there.

Also (#2), you need to thoroughly re-clean your mask (including the skirt) from time to time. Oil from your skin, sunscreen, etc. will eventually get on your mask skirt. And, eventually, gradually leech its way over to get on the glass. You should also be aware that silicone mask skirts can get mold/mildew on them. It will discolor a clear mask skirt but you probably won't be able to tell it's there on a black mask skirt. So, cleaning every now and then with a good disinfectant or sterilizer (e.g. Steramine) is also a good idea.

I use baby shampoo. With a new mask, I wash it many times.

Toothpaste has been recommended for decades, but some people have said that today's toothpastes are less abrasive than they used to be, so it's questionable whether most of today's toothpastes are abrasive enough. If you want to use toothpaste, Google "toothpaste abrasiveness ranked" or something like that, to find a chart showing which ones are most abrasive.

It has also been said that simply leaving the mask in its sealed plastic box for an extended period of time leads to deposition of gaseous stuff (that's the technical term) emitted by the silicone on the glass. You asked for "tricks," and my latest trick is simply to leave the mask box cracked open when I am not diving for a while. I can't say I have done any sort of controlled test to see if this works as well as I think it does.

As an alternative to storing my masks in a box, I stick them in the end of my fins. Conveniently, I have two fins - one for my primary mask and one for my backup. At first I was skeptical - I thought squishing them like that would deform the skirt and cause leaking. But since the guy that suggested it has been diving since before I was born, I gave it a shot. Works like a charm and they can air out in there while still being protected.

I used the toothpaste and brush treatment only once when the mask was new. Afterwards, I've never used any defoggers or dish soap or shampoo, etc. Before every dive, I just spit on the inside of the glass, rub it in with my thumb, and this works like magic on every mask that I've had.

Some, not all masks are VERY recalcitrant to the usual methods of cleaning and defog. I've run across a couple in my 20 year dive history. They are a royal pain. Burning, followed by thorough toothpaste scrubbing seems to be the only method to fix those. Then use a good defog.
I don't understand the issue with cost about defog. The stuff is relatively cheap and a bottle lasts a long time. But, baby shampoo works fine and is dirt cheap.

Scrub the heck out of the new mask with plain Soft Scrub (not the one with bleach). Sit in front of the TV and scrub scrub scrub for 15-20 minutes. Let the scrub dry a bit, rinse, and repeat. Do this 5-6 times.

Soft Scrub is cleaner rinsing than toothpaste.

Since I'm new I have only new masks. The first one I got at my LDS and they recommended old fashioned white toothpaste for initial cleaning. When I bought a new mask from Dive Gear Express I noticed their comments on mask cleaning:

Tek Tip Warning Image WARNING
Don't use toothpaste on modern dive masks, especially those masks that have optical quality ultra-clear glass lenses, vision correction lenses or 'optical coatings' on the lenses. You will either damage the lenses, or needlessly waste toothpaste since most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive. The same goes for using a lighter to 'burn' the lens to prepare a new mask. Dive Gear Express will not warranty masks that have been treated with abrasives or burned with lighters. Most new dive masks do have mold release agents in the flexible skirt that during storage will migrate to the surface of the lens and cause fogging. These deposits can be safely removed with an extra application of a powerful surfactant like baby shampoo, SeaQuick or SeaDrops defog.

SOURCE

While it helped in the short run, the mask eventually fogs up again. Are there any other tips you can suggest? I've heard baking soda works too. What other options are there or am I simply SOL and need to get a new mask?

There is a good deal of folklore and a few pieces of useful advice upthread.

There are several strategies that experienced divers use to prevent problems with fogging.

1) Your mask must seal reasonably well because clearing your mask contributes to fogging. If you have to clear your mask repeatedly during a routine dive, there's something wrong*, so fix it. The mask strap must have the correct tension, not too tight (common) or too loose (rare among beginners). You may have to experiment with strap placement (up and down) on the back of your head to get the mask to press evenly against your face. If you have long hair you have to be sure it's not stuck between your skin and the mask. You want to be sure that the skirt isn't folded in on itself. An older mask may have a damaged skirt that won't seal. Contrary to LDS folklore, most people can wear most masks, but it is possible that you have a mask that does not fit you well.

2) The glass must be clean because any film of oil or dirt will contribute to fogging. Modern masks should not require herculean efforts to clean, just start with some kind of mild soap and your fingers using moderate pressure. I clean my masks when new and occasionally, not after every dive. If I dive salt water then I do rinse them.

3) Most divers apply some form of anti-fog coating before each dive. Spit works for some people, I don't find it to work especially well, maybe my saliva is different. Some people use diluted baby shampoo which works ok but is a hassle to carry around. I use "Sea Gold Anti Fog Gel." I have not yet encountered a dive shop that doesn't stock it. A little bottle is $7 and will last until you lose it.

3a) Even if you can get away without an anti-fog coating in warm water, you may want to have some at hand if you are diving in colder water.

3b) It shouldn't ordinarily be necessary to re-apply anti-fog during a typical dive, but there are some people who bring the bottle along with them. You have to surface to use it.

4) As noted upthread, avoid exhaling through your nose. If you do have to equalize the mask or clear it, don't blow any more air into it than you have to.

5) Though it shouldn't be necessary on a routine basis, know how to let a little water leak into your mask so you can move your head around in such a way to rinse the glass and thereby remove the fog. This is a last resort but will work when all else has failed.

-------
* = Masks typically don't seal fully where they cross the upper lip under the nose, and so if you're diving inverted to try to see under a ledge or something, there will be a certain amount of leakage. This is especially true if you have facial hair there.

Back
Top Bottom