Trilam drysuit repair: pinhole leak at (not in) seam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found a pinhole leak in my drysuit today that has bedeviled me for a couple of very cold months now. I’ve been getting very cold water in at the crotch. I have been messing with (and falsely maligning) the P-valve I installed two months ago. Seemed logical. But didn’t help.

So today I donned the suit in just my (everyday) undies and got into a stock tank slowly and carefully to see if I can figure out where the leak was coming from. Bingo: cold water *right* at my crotch and a foot away from my P-valve.

Catching it so fast really helped. There’s a tiny wet spot on the inside, and it has a pinhole leak that leads to a bigger gouge on the outside. I’ve attached pictures.

If it were in the middle of a panel, I’d have no problem patching it — as in with a patch. But it’s not: it’s right at the edge of where the seam sealant on the inside ends. It’s also in the very high-wear crotch area, where there are a couple other worn areas just waiting to leak. So, two questions:

= Best suggestions for addressing a pinhole leak right next to but not in a seam

= Best way to protect the crotch area from more damage: whether that’s something applied to the suit or something applied (like a neoprene sleeve?) to the crotch strap.

Thank you for your help!

FEF820A9-765F-4740-9565-7E759427DD86.jpeg 84F77D0D-5867-43DF-A709-AD7C58BF2BD1.jpegA

I would aquaseal it with some thin reinforcement pressed into the wet sealer, something like thin material. I have used a piece of towel in a pince when I tore a hole in the leg of one of my suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom