trilobite ,cold water z- cutter ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevsil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
im lookint to get some sort or line cutter from the videos ive seen the trilobite seems nice and looks like itll cut through just about anything i would need it to but the replacement blades dont seem very common at least i havent seen them around but the dive rite z cutter has standard utiity knife hlades which are everywhere but just wondring if anyone have any experience with either of these 2 knives of another lne chtter they really like

Last edited:
they (e-z cut) come with a couple extras, and you can buy or order them from the same folks you bought the body from. What is the issue? Solid device.

I also own a "cold water" z-cutter.... One on the harness (trilobite) and one on the waist/thigh (z).

Even in fresh water, I am getting some rusting in my "z-knife". The "e-z cut" is, as original, sharp and ready...

they (e-z cut) come with a couple extras, and you can buy or order them from the same folks you bought the body from. What is the issue? Solid device.

I also own a "cold water" z-cutter.... One on the harness (trilobite) and one on the waist/thigh (z).

Even in fresh water, I am getting some rusting in my "z-knife". The "e-z cut" is, as original, sharp and ready...
the only issuse i have with the trilobite is the replacement blades are a bit pricey i think i saw 2 blades for 5$ not including s&h while the z cutter i can get a mmassive pack of blades from home depot for like. 5$

How often are you cutting stuff underwater to be that worried about the cost of replacement blades?
pretty often a couple of the spots i dive are also good fishing spors so there are alot of fishing lines and sinkers snagged on old lobster pots and rocks that i collects but with the blades being as thin as they are i figured they would dull out quicker just being exposed to the salt water along with normal use

I cut through harness webbing and bungie all the time with my trilobite. I use it for projects around the house. Still on the original blade. In salt and fresh water. The blade holds up just fine and I have the extras that came with it. Awesome device.

+1 on the trilobite. I agree compared to other blades trilobites are expensive but in the scheme of diving costs it's still relatively inexpensive. It's an awesome cutting device well worth the $2.50 per blade in my opinion. Personally I'd just buy a load of spares at the same time as device purchase, which is what I did.

I don't think you need special blades for the trilobite. I haven't handled one but from watching the video I'm 99% sure that's just a regular carpet knife blade.

I don't think you need special blades for the trilobite. I haven't handled one but from watching the video I'm 99% sure that's just a regular carpet knife blade.

I don't think it is. I've looked at numerous hardware stores but have been unable to find them anywhere.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 08:44 PM ----------

Although would seem strange, and expensive, that they would use proprietary blades. I'll look into it some more. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom