Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geobound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay I'm not talking about that group of extinct marine arachnomorph arthropods, but the cutting device......ya I looked that up, I'm not that smart!

Actually I think my title should have been "How often do you use one", or any other type of cutting device?

I am relatively new to the hobby and whilst I understand the need to carry a cutting device "just incase", how often does one really need it?

I see mixed signals when it comes from the more experienced diver, "you can always spot a noob from all the stuff he/she carries", to "you noobs should be carrying more kit, especially two cutting devices"?

Whereabouts are you running into the need to use one, and has it really been a "life or death situation", or more of a "I should clean that up so some fish doesn't get caught on it" scenario?

My goal is to find the proper balance between being a smart new diver versus looking like a new diver with a smart new kit.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your stories, I truly value your opinions.

Trilobite are unobtrusive bits of kit that can be attached and forgotten until that one time you actually do need it to live. If you are trimming some extraneous gear, I wouldnt start there. There is something to be said for minimalism, but the boy scouts had it right with always be prepared.

So situations that require cutting use:
Fishing line
Plant life
Reels/spools
Gear caught/stuck
SMB if tangled
Etc etc etc

Trilobites suck for spreading peanut butter.

LPK’s for me. (Large Pointy Knife) Like an M9, that would be good. Got a friend, Lita, who picks up one or more each morning while walking at Coronado. She will buy USGI sheaths if you got one.

Chicks dig ‘em, plus- they’re easier to lose. That’s why there’s so many empty strappy-leggy sheaths in the $3 junk box at your LDS.

You'll need it the dive before you buy it.

I carry a Tri plus a pair of Titanium surgical sheers.

Of the two, I have only used the sheers to cut some zip-tied party balloons from some coral.

Prior to my current setup I had a ankle-mounted blunt-nosed dive knife that didn't have a very sharp edge, but was excellent in removing bottle caps post dive.

I did a night dive on the Capt Tony in Boynton Beach. I got caught up in fishing line around my first stage that I could not get out of and was much too strong to break. I pulled my Trilobyte from my waist strap, cut the line, and was on my way.

Trilobites suck for spreading peanut butter.

LPK’s for me. (Large Pointy Knife) Like an M9, that would be good. Got a friend, Lita, who picks up one or more each morning while walking at Coronado. She will buy USGI sheaths if you got one.

Chicks dig ‘em, plus- they’re easier to lose. That’s why there’s so many empty strappy-leggy sheaths in the $3 junk box at your LDS.
I second the pointy knife for peanut butter, also great for cutting cheese and pepperoni.

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom