Trimix Buckets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@CWK I frequently visit Malaysia as my other half is from Penang and I generally try to get a week away from the family to dive. In the past my daughter and I have been to Sipidan (actually I dived there a week after she was born in 1992), and Redang. Looking at Tengol and have been wondering if I should venture there next year. My daughter did a lot of shark research around Malaysia last year for FIN print but didn't recommend Tioman for me.
Wish I could advise regarding Tenggol, but I have not been there for over 20 years because I essentially stopped diving from 1996 to 2017. I'm now mostly diving abroad as it is quite easy to jump on a plane to Male or Denpasar.

I did do some training on Tioman last year but would generally not recommend it for more experienced recreational divers. However, in terms of tec, you may wish to contact B&J. Darren (one of the tech instructors there) used to teach Padi and IANTD but I think he has recently dropped IANTD for TDI. You may be able to arrange some tec diving on WW II wrecks with him. See WWII Wrecks - B&J, Diving in Tioman

I'm discussing with my tec instructor about doing the TDI trimix course (normoxic, 60M) next month. I may, or may not, follow this up with the TDI advanced trimix course (hypoxic, 100M) depending on the diving opportunities available for trimix divers.

As I am generally not well informed about trimix diving locations, I'd be grateful if trimix divers could share their trimix bucket list dives. These should be dives that not only require trimix, but there should also be local dive operations with trimix guides.

Thanks
Where you are (Malaysia), three of the most historically significant WWII capital shipwrecks are right there in the region:

HMS Repulse Battlecruiser & HMS Prince of Wales Battleship off of Kuantan (the first battleships ever sunk-in-action -freely maneuvering & evading on the open ocean as opposed to being caught at anchor like the US Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor -through Japanese air assault alone); and HIJMS Haguro Heavy Cruiser in the Malacca Strait, the last major warship to be sunk in surface action right before the end of the War.

Sinking of Prince of Wales and Repulse - Wikipedia

https://explorers.org/pdf/TEC_2010_...nlay_Operation_Dukedome_Flag_52_Nov._2010.pdf

Reactions: CWK
Having done Truk last year (awesome BTW), and doing the HMHS Britannic this year, my bucket list is thinning down. I also wanted to dive the Prince of Wales and Repulse, but heard they're in such a bad state now it's not worth doing. Great lakes is probably next on my to-do list.

You need to define a trimix dive though, anything sub 30m is trimix for GUE, others might be happy on air to 50+. Lot of diving in between those depths!

How did you manage to wrangle a trip to the Brittanic?

Looks like I need to find a buddy to dive trimix with. I’m happy diving on air to 55m, but think I should be equally happy to switch to trimix for anything below 40m.

Are you talking normoxic or hypoxic? What is the reason behind this? Are the dives you want to do deep enough that trimix is almost a necessity? or are you diving 'trimix' for the sake of diving trimix?

Edit: sorry just reread your original post about normoxic, so ignore that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom