trimming a DSS Taurus 35 wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

I have a 35lbs Taurus wing with SS Bp, with 8lbs weight plate. My weight is perfect (5-6lbs, with drysuit), wrt buoyancy (I just sink with 500psi and exhale). Still working on horizontal trim and have a few questions related to what happens to trim as I move my Al80 tank up and down my back and as tank goes down to 500psi. Specifically:

Does moving the tank up toward my head make be head heavy relative to a lower position (I assume so)? Does this change on the Al80, as air goes down to 500PSI. That is, would I still be head heavy to the same extent and would my trim shift back toward the middle of my body as the tank gets lighter?

Currently, I'm a bit head heavy (head drops below horizontal), with the tank about 5 fingers below the neck of the tank and the 6lbs on weight pockets on the waist strap of the *harness* (put there because higher than if i had a weight belt; had it on harness shoulder straps initially, but worse in terms of head heavy). I can touch my valve in water but can't really turn valve. So, I'd like to move the tank up a bit higher, say, 10 fingers below the neck. I assume this will make me even more head heavy (beginning vs. end of dive?).

If I move the tank up to 10 fingers below the neck, I'm thinking I should slap the weight belt back on with the 6lbs on it (and not use weight pockets), which would be lower than the current placement. Is my logic correct in terms of the placement of the tank and 6lbs of weight. All comments welcome.

Hi Folks,

I have a 35lbs Taurus wing with SS Bp, with 8lbs weight plate. My weight is perfect (5-6lbs, with drysuit), wrt buoyancy (I just sink with 500psi and exhale). Still working on horizontal trim and have a few questions related to what happens to trim as I move my Al80 tank up and down my back and as tank goes down to 500psi. Specifically:

Does moving the tank up toward my head make be head heavy relative to a lower position (I assume so)? Does this change on the Al80, as air goes down to 500PSI. That is, would I still be head heavy to the same extent and would my trim shift back toward the middle of my body as the tank gets lighter?

Currently, I'm a bit head heavy (head drops below horizontal), with the tank about 5 fingers below the neck of the tank and the 6lbs on weight pockets on the waist strap of the *harness* (put there because higher than if i had a weight belt; had it on harness shoulder straps initially, but worse in terms of head heavy). I can touch my valve in water but can't really turn valve. So, I'd like to move the tank up a bit higher, say, 10 fingers below the neck. I assume this will make me even more head heavy (beginning vs. end of dive?).

If I move the tank up to 10 fingers below the neck, I'm thinking I should slap the weight belt back on with the 6lbs on it (and not use weight pockets), which would be lower than the current placement. Is my logic correct in terms of the placement of the tank and 6lbs of weight. All comments welcome.

Torus, as in toroidal, Toroidal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

A few other points

All tanks change in buoyancy as the contents are depleted. The impact on horizontal trim is quite small. There is after ~6 lbs of gas in an al 80, maybe 5 useable.

Not a fan of weight pockets on the rig. Hanging 100% of your ballast on your rig can force you into a larger wing or result in a rig the wing cannot float with a full tank.

Find a horizontal bottom that is ok to land on, institutional pools are great. Vent the wing, lay on the bottom, get into the Prone position. Add little puffs of gas until a deep breath lift you off the bottom.

If your chest is rising more ballast North. If your knees are coming off move ballast south.

Tobin

I think your analysis is correct. If you move the tank up, you will be more head-heavy, and you will need to move your weights down to compensate. AL80s become positive as they empty, and also butt-light. Although the effect is not huge, you will tend to get more head-heavy as the dive progresses with those tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom