Trip advice: Dec/Jan conditions; training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
We've been considering a New Year's trip (27 Dec - 2 Jan) and the airfare availability to Hawaii or Cozumel are pretty tough at this point. We've got Southwest free tickets out the wazoo, however -- how are SE Florida and the Keys this time of year? Any expectations, perhaps based on past experience, what the sea conditions (both above and below) are likely to be by that time?

As long as we're at it, we might make it a training trip, rather than pure recreational -- either EAN for both of us, or AOW for my wife (much as I'd like to, I don't think we'd have time to cram a wreck penetration course in, even with pre-study.) Any particular reccomendations for specific instructors or operators?

Thanks much.

--Laird

Down with the upper keys... everyone wants to go there... check out the 'Lauderdale or Deerfield beach or there about boats. Shorter ride, better reefs, not nearly as crowded. I'll take SE FL over upper keys any day.

The water temps will be a bit cooler than now - 70s - so plan on layering up a 3 - 5 mil. But the visibility is usually good and the currents and seas settle down that time of year.

I like the Keys but live between Miami and Fort Lauderdale so I dive the beaches north of me and the wrecks south. Best of both worlds. If you decide to go to the Keys I would recommend the northern end - Key Largo - Marathon. Better diving than lower Keys (In my opinion)

Bear in mind that it will be "season" here so hotel rates will be up so book early. If you are not into real fancy but clean and comfortable try the hotels in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. Great beach diving!

If you would like to take a course - I would be happy to set up a private lesson for you. I'm Naui and can teach you your Nitrox or your wife her AOW.

Renee

What about the chance of fronts coming through and mucking up the viz for shore diving with waves/surge? The nice thing about FL diving is the warmer SI's after a fairly warm dive, however in the winter it cools off both below and above. I would go in at least a 3mm, maybe even 5mm and bring something to keep the wind off during SI's.

Due to the snowbirds being down, the hotel prices will be up as Renee mentioned.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom