Trip insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are planning a trip to Grand Cayman next year and besides DAN insurance can anyone recommend a reputable company to purchase trip insurance through.

We have used Allianz the yearly policy. We had a claim and they paid promptly.

My experience with Allianz is that they covered only flight delays/cancellations. I lost several thousand dollars when I had an emergency cardiac catherization and Allianz limited coverage to the initial flight cost.

My experience with Allianz is that they covered only flight delays/cancellations. I lost several thousand dollars when I had an emergency cardiac catherization and Allianz limited coverage to the initial flight cost.

Interesting. I’ve personally never used them but have been recommended to them. I’ve always heard good things but also have never known someone personally who had to make a claim

I guess it depends on the policy coverage. You usually get what you pay for. One needs to carefully read the coverage fine print and exclusions.

Allianz drug their feet for months with my claim (volcano eruption) and kept asking for one more piece of evidence "this is the last thing".... crazy stuff like a letter from the Indonesian airport in English stating that it was closed...I finally sent them 19 articles from different news organizations from all over the world with actual quotes from the mayor the president etc. They finally sent the checks...

I had to present boarding passes (so make sure you hold on to them), TOS's from every operator, copies of checks and CC reciepts, letters from all operators including airline, liveaboard, hotel, and airport. A few other stupid things... So if you are stuck somewhere try to get these letters then because it is very difficult after the fact.

I use AIG Travel Guard and DAN annual travel insurance now, but I have a feeling when there is a natural disaster like that they must have a lot of claims so I guess they drag their feet to spread out payments. It was infuriating...

Hi guys!
I've been with Allianz too... by default as it's part of a student insurance plan but for the 2 times I had to make a travel insurance claim it was a pain... asking for documents in whatever languages, taking a long time, putting time restrictions to send forms but not considering that it was a long trip so I didn't have access to much infrastructure, etc. wasn't great at all and I am sure there's better out there.

Talking about this.... haha :wink: I won't be covered by them anymore and shopping for a new insurance company for both diving and traveling globally... I've got this https://divezone.net/blog/all-about-the-best-scuba-diving-insurance-plans.htm which I find is pretty thorough for a diving insurance guide... I'm thinking world nomad and I would like some input from any of youo that have been with them please! :)

It's the first time that I will take ONE insuraance that I wish to cover my whole trip & activities, is that a good idea? Meaning that before I use to take the dive shop insurance wherever I'd dive... perhaps that was more expensive ? Or less?

Nomad versus others ? Good service ? Wide coverage ? anyyy input is much welcome! thanks :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom