Trip Report: Bahamas 02/10 -02/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Caribbean Explorer I 02/10-02/17

Ending up on the CEX1 was sort of an accident for me. Originally I had planned to go to Key West and do some diving from boats. I did a bit of research and found the Explorer Ventures fleet and thought I’d give them a try as they were geared toward having a small number of passengers on a decent sized boat. Liveaboards are so much fun and I get my satisfaction of diving 5 dives a day. With a free ticket from Alaska to anywhere in the Lower 48, I wanted to maximize the value for travel so I chose to fly to Miami and then another hop to Georgetown, Bahamas on American Eagle. AE was a decent flight. I heard unpleasant comments from other passengers who had flown on Bahamas Air (flight delays) and Continental (baggage delays). When I arrived at the airport in Georgetown, I took one of the many van-taxis out front to the marina where the CEX1 was docked. It was $25 for the entire van (2 passengers) and the driver helped us load bags in/out and was pleasant. We tipped him very well. I would recommend using a local driver, but not ‘Mary’. The boat actually had her as their preferred driver. On the return trip back to the airport, she charged us double the rate of the other driver ($50) and was neither pleasant nor did she assist with baggage.

The crew members greeted me upon arrival and graciously carried my bags aboard. I felt very welcome to be a part of the trip. After I unpacked and set up dive gear, I was given an entertaining but informative safety briefing. I especially liked the fact that the names of the crew and other passengers were listed on the dive brief board immediately upon arrival. This made getting to meet other passengers and the crew easy. By the end of the first full day, we all knew each other’s names and had begun to better acquaint ourselves with one another. Any time we were to move to another site, the captain would provide details of the travel plans at a meal. The crew came in daily into the rooms for cleaning, to change the linens and to make the beds. I loved those chocolates at turn down before bed. I had my camera on board and they handled it properly. I liked the fact that they tracked the passenger’s duration in the water (entry and exit times) and requested the depth and remaining psi after each dive. Overall the crew was very professional in undertaking their duties and accommodating the passengers. Of course some personalities outshone others.

The boat itself was in good condition despite it being an older vessel. The interior was in fair to good shape. The dive deck was newly painted/coated and wide enough for all to comfortably be seated. I felt very comfortable walking around barefoot. Each passenger had a plastic box for small items within a cubicle under the seats. I could easily find a hanger and to hang up my wetsuit. The dive deck had two hot showers which were a great way to shake off the chill after a long dive. The dive deck had a small but secure sized camera table. I found it odd that the water cooler container would be housed on this, but everyone was reminded about not putting liquids on it. Nothing was spectacular about the furnishings, but everything was neat and clean. TV in the salon was new and a comedy show could be found playing almost any afternoon. Music could be played on the upper deck (CDs iPODs etc). The food was the regular sort of a meal you’d prepare for yourself at home but I did not expect a gourmet meal considering the price of the passage. I did like the Explorer Ventures overall set up and would travel on another one of their boats in the future.

The dives themselves were typical Bahamas dives and met my expectations. Water temp was 77-79F. I wore a 3 mil Hyperstretch suit and was getting chilly at the end of a 60 min dive. The visibility for the most part was good to excellent. Okay, the visibility was spectacular in comparison to Alaska diving. The dives were perfect for beginner and intermediate divers. I liked the exploratory dives and having the opportunity to name a site. The captain initially said no to a drift dive, but then based on the current allowed for it. That was nice. The creatures were beautiful when found, but could be easily overlooked due to the seemingly sparse terrain. During the dives we saw Reef Sharks, Parrotfish, Tangs, Barracuda, Sting Rays, Horse Eye Jacks, Grunts, Hamlets, Porgy, Porkfish, Blennies, Eels, and many more fish. The creatures like Lobsters, Nudibranchs, Conchs, Sponges, Sea Fans, and Tunicates were all very colorful. My favorite thing was having a Dolphin swim right up to a group of 3 of us! I was thrilled that my dives were not limited by time constraints.

Thanks for the report. No sharks?!?

I took over 500 photos and whittled them down to under 300. I provided all the other passengers a CD so they could remember all the creatures. I would have to re-edit and post the pix. I'm not certain I have the time for that now, but I'll try.

Of course - reef sharks. One of the most interesting things to see were the Horse Eye Jacks chasing a shark and smacking it with their tails relentlessly until the shark went out of the area. Fascinating to see. They got so close to the shark that it could not turn around. Getting right onto the shark is one tactic only a well armored fish can do.

We'll be going in June. Thanks for the trip report.

Please tell me about passport control in Miami coming back. The last time we went through there it took us over 2 hours to get through and baggage claim was a mob scene with bags everywhere.

Also, did the ship have enough clips to dry clothes on the rail or should I bring a few extra?

Did you dive your long hose? Just wondering how many looks you got if you did :)

Miami is always a mob scene, but passport lines moved quickly.

There were plenty of suit hangars on the lower deck. Mostly people just tied their suits to the rail. I hung mine (changed suits most dives) in the shower.

Regarding the long hose, yes, I dove it. No one said anything negative about anyone else's dive gear. We were all there to dive and have fun.

You'll have a good time. I wish I could go back in June. The water should be warmer.

Great report! Thanks for the info. My buddy & I will be going in mid May & arriving early on Fri., so we can relax & wait for our baggage, if needed. If I may ask, what type of luggage did you use? I'm planning on taking a large dive bag (the wheeled type). Is there somewhere to store it? Or should I plan on another type of bag? I like the wheeled bags just easier to handle in airports & such. Anyway,.... very informative report.

By the way did you report "Mary" to EV? Even though she's an independent, they can always pick another preferred driver? It sounds like she's taking advantage of & abusing her position & passengers.

I had an Akona bag that had a sleeve around it for travel. The sleeve got battered but the bag was perfect. The bag is a wheeled type but once empty somewhat flattens out. I stayed upstairs in #6 and there was plenty of room under the lower bunk for bags. I also had an army duffle for clothing. The odd thing about the bags is that you are obligated to set up your gear first before you go to your room to unpack. I was glad there were only a few people setting up gear at once. I hate to sound like a snob, but I never did go downstairs to see the lower cabin amenities or room size.

Regarding Mary, I sent my trip report to EV, but never heard a word back from anyone there. I filled out both their survey form (very generic) and sent my posted report as well.

Tammy- say hi to Rob for me. (Christa from Alaska).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom