Trip Report: Bahamas 02/10 -02/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have 2 of the Akona wheeled duffels and they do flatten pretty nicely. We took them on a liveaboard last year and they fit perfectly under the sink. The cabin on that sailboat was small and it was no problem to fit the two Akona bags and the wheeled LLBean duffel we took for clothing and extras.

I asked about the cabin size when I booked and the CEX1 cabin is at least the same size, if not a bit larger. Should not be problem to shove the bags under the bed.

I dropped off a disk for you with Scott at the shop. He said Bill dives almost every weekend and looks for a buddy? I would love to dive with him. I'll be down Saturday 17th and quite possibly 03/18 if I can find anyone to dive with me. See you guys at the cove. Do you dive cold water anymore?

Cold is a relative term :)
I get cold too easy so I restrict my cold weather diving to 58 degrees and higher.

Thanks for the disk. I'll tell Bill you are looking for a buddy for this weekend.

The creatures were beautiful when found, but could be easily overlooked due to the seemingly sparse terrain.

My wife and I did the Turks and Caicos Explorer 2 last June and really loved it. I was wondering if you would elaborate on the above statement? I've never been to the Bahamas and have not heard very good things about it. Does your comment mean there are not good Caribbean reefs to dive during this trip? Glad you enjoyed.

Thanks,

Guy

Turks & Caicos is different from the Exuma, Bahamas area which is also different from the Nassau, Bahamas area. I dove Grenada last September and it was also totally different (all are Caribbean). The CEX1 trip was through islands that were unable to block the wind and rain, thus the area gets hit pretty hard when a storm comes through. The reefs when present looked like a ghost town until you took the time to inspect for creatures. i found a fabulous Indigo hamlet in the middle of what appeared to be nowhere. Reef walls that you would expect to be teeming with small fish, creatures and corals sometimes were algae and sand covered. I can't tell you if it was pollution, the repeated storms, the sunlight or some other phenomenon. Even when there were a few isolated reefs with what seemed to be sand everywhere, the creatures were fascinating to watch - especially at night. Night dives are always excellent.

Last year I did a Blackbeard's cruise out of Grand Bahama. Once we got to & south of Bimini I could see a very noticeable difference in the reefs. The reefs didn't seem as healthy as around Grand Bahama. They were Moss & algae covered & the # & variety of fish & other critters was much reduced. A little disappointing in my book, especially after the vibrant colors of the reefs & abundance of life around Grand Bahama Island.

Great report! I will be going May 5th, room #5, flying in on Bahamasair. We are arriving Friday and hoping that any luggage delays will be handled prior to boarding the CEXI on saturday. I know you didn't have problems with luggage but is there any tips you can pass on regarding this since you spoke to people who did?
I was also wondering how calm the water was while on the boat? With a rocking boat I get terrible sea sickness.
If you post photos please PM me, I'd love to see them.
Thanks again for the report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom