Trip Report: BlackBeard’s Cruises 24-30 May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally doubt there is much risk of me losing a hand ...

Yes, but if you play poker with a shark, you will lose more than one hand. :D

Yes, but if you play poker with a shark, you will lose more than one hand. :D
Sharks don't play poker. Only Dogs do.

Don't you ever go to the art museums? :D

Nice report. Like others have said I have thought about a BB trip but for whatever reason have not done so. Maybe next year with my teen son. Someone once posted on a BB trip report to think of it like camping but in a boat with diving. Sounds like fun.

Nice report. Like others have said I have thought about a BB trip but for whatever reason have not done so. Maybe next year with my teen son. Someone once posted on a BB trip report to think of it like camping but in a boat with diving. Sounds like fun.
I'm sure the two of you would have fun. I don't think a teenager would be a problem, but be advised, there is plenty of alcohol around. Rum punch at night, wine in the galley; there's even a Beer Tap on the main deck. :D OTOH, maybe a great chance to de-mystify alcohol with him.

Great review T.C. I'm convinced and will be signing up for a November trip.

Couple questions...
1. Do I need my regs set up for DIN or Yoke?
2. Can I bring my Nautilus Lifeline? (don't know if Bahamas has different "FCC" rules/frequencies)
3. Would you recommend bringing a small extension cord (to be able to use multiple outlets)
4. Any issues about bringing a laptop? It would be nice to upload pics/video between dives/days
5. How is the boat for cameras? Are there dry areas for working on the cameras (and for the laptop)?
6. Any need for bring other snacks (chips/crackers/etc)?

:cheers:
Steve

Steve, this is from my experiences with Blackbeards.

1. Do I need my regs set up for DIN or Yoke?
Yoke
2. Can I bring my Nautilus Lifeline? (don't know if Bahamas has different "FCC" rules/frequencies)
I don't know, but you should e-mail them and ask. It can't be a bad idea.
3. Would you recommend bringing a small extension cord (to be able to use multiple outlets)
I bring and use one. If they start to trip breakers they will unplug them.
4. Any issues about bringing a laptop? It would be nice to upload pics/video between dives/days
I use an iPad but I have seen laptops. Its all about space, you have a very limited amount.
5. How is the boat for cameras? Are there dry areas for working on the cameras (and for the laptop)?
They have a fresh water rinse but storage is in the bench bin. I have seen people work below decks either on their bunk or at the picnic table.
6. Any need for bring other snacks (chips/crackers/etc)?
Bring anything you can't live without. Jellybeans or Jolly Ranchers are very popular.

Nice thorough write-up! Two questions:
1. Do they offer nitrox?
2. Are all the dives at the easy / AOW level, or do they offer more advanced / challenging dives?

Sol; Thanks to the miracle of email, I was notified about your questions. Hope this helps.

No Nitrox. The boats are basic, and while the air compressors are fully functional and well maintained, they don't have the capacity to blend or produce Nitrox onboard. Their sister ship, the AquaCat, does, IIRC correctly.

Most the dives are easy to AOW, however, you can go deeper on the wall dives. Nothing is really too difficult. Just remember, you are on air, so your bottom times will be much shorter for the rest of the day. There is no divemaster in the water, so if you wish to make it challenging you could. I find it's quite entertaining as it is.

Reactions: Sol
I was on Blackbeard's in February. Had a great time. The weather was perfect all week! 13 guest plus crew was the perfect amount of people. Unfortunately a virus went thru the boat and several guest and crew got sick, (the 24 hour kind), fortunately for me I didn't get it. One of the guest posted a video on you tube of the trip!

I haven't been on a Blackbeard's cruise before, but I have been on her sister ship the Aquacat 4 times and I am confident in saying that the great attitude of the crew is a philosophy that extends to all of their vessels. For those looking for NITROX (or longer showers) the Aquacat offers these.

I think that the terrific attitude, great diving and fun atmosphere are likely common throughout the fleet, and the biggest difference is the amount of luxury, space and convenience that the different ships offer. It is safe to say that whether you book a trip on Blackbeards, the Cat PPalau, or the Aquacat, that you will have a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom