Trip Report - Blue Angel 27-31May2010 (LONG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaSoulSelf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Blue Angel Resort - Cozumel 27-31May2010 - Coz Virgins No More!!!

This was our very first trip to Cozumel and to Blue Angel. We were only there for a few days, but began discussing our return trip on our second day. This review will cover all the aspects of our trip.

Our day started at 0300 to get to STL in anticipation of 0610 departure to IAH, connecting direct into CZM. Due to maintenance issues with Continental Airlines (Chautauqua/Express-Jet) in STL, we missed our connection in IAH. We were able to be rebooked on to the next IAH flight and then connect into Cancun. As annoyed as we were with CO Maintenance Department, the ticket agent was very proactive in getting us on alternate flights. The Customer Service desk in IAH provided the Playa & ferry info. Continental paid for the shuttle and reimbursed us for the ferry ride as well. Flight from IAH to CUN was fine.

The worst part of the trip was the nearly 3 hours we spent getting through immigration & customs at CUN. Our timing was bad -- arrived just as about 3 other planes arrived -- and of course, with the holiday weekend, it was crowded. Understandable. What was particularly annoying was the number of persons who did not feel compelled to stand in line and randomly cut the lines in baggage claim/customs, while the rest of us shuffled along like good boys & girls. The ride to Playa was pleasant - about an hour. Our driver dropped us off at the parking lot of the shopping center near the ferry and we headed over to the terminal. Unfortunately, we hit it right after a ferry left and had about a 2 hour wait. We could see Coz, but couldn't get there. Sitting near the water and people watching made the time go by quickly. Soon enough we were boarding the ferry.

After a very pleasant 40 minute ferry ride, a quick taxi dropped us off at Blue Angel. We were immediately greeted in the lobby by owners Eva & Robert and we were able to check in quickly. We just made it to the dive shop before it closed for the day. Martin was very helpful in explaining the operations, gear storage, etc. We filled out our paperwork and were ready for the first dive at 0800 the next morning. Too tired for a shore dive after the travel day. Slight bummer.

HOTEL: This is a diver's hotel -- not a glitzy all-inclusive. Exactly what we were looking for. The hotel is small but is clean and well kept. You can tell that the property is well maintained. The lobby is open air and just past the front desk is a lounging area with books and a TV playing video of the dive sites. There are a few tables here to sit and relax, play cards, use laptops, etc. The breeze is very nice here.

There is a good sized pool at the center of the property overlooking the boat dock and ocean. There are a few palapas both around the pool and at the edge of the shore walkway. Comfortable loungers as well as hammocks. Pool was refreshing but the paint on the deck can be a little hot. Hotel has beach towels for your use - just ask at the front desk.

Our room on the third floor was double beds, which was a little tight for two but we adjusted. The TV is wall mounted and has sufficient channels. Closet has ample hangers and shelf space. There was also a very nice sized dresser and mini-fridge. Bathroom is good sized and shower is large. Toiletries are provided. Safe is located on a shelf in the bathroom and held our travel docs, etc, phones and my Kindle. It would probably hold a netbook but would not have held either of our laptops.

Also in the bathroom there is a large pitcher to hold bottled water . The water coolers are located at the end of the open air hallways on each floor. This came in handy so we didn't have to buy extra bottled water for toothbrushing, taking vitamins, etc.

Our room had fresh flowers which was a nice touch. Decor is rustic - we liked it. The pebble turtle design in the floor leads you to the balcony and there you find that ocean view. All rooms at Blue Angel have an ocean view. The balcony has a table & 2 chairs. Ground floor rooms have loungers and patio areas. All rooms have rustic but finished logs for hanging dive gear, towels, etc.

The only 2 things that we didn't have in our rooms were: alarm clock and hair dryer. We used our phone's clock and I am up with the sun even on vacation -- no problem. As far as hair dryers, the hotel may have them at the front desk. I didn't particularly care about my hair since we were diving. Just mentioning these two items for those who might care.

HOUSEKEEPING: Efficient and completed early. Very pleasant staff.

RESTAURANT: There is one open air restaurant on property. It is located above the dive shop. Breakfast and lunch are included with your dive package on diving days. Coffee good and strong. The breakfast buffet included fresh fruit and pan dulce, as well as eggs, bacon, and french toast, which my husband said was VERY good. Lunch was also very good and plentiful.

The dinner menu is varied. There is a standard menu, as well as nightly specials. We arrived on "Steak Night", which was very good. Be forewarned, it was a huge portion. We also enjoyed shrimp fajitas, chicken fajitas, etc. Dinner includes a house dessert and a tequila shot.

Overall the food at Blue Angel is very good. My biggest problem was deciding what to order! Service is friendly and prompt.

DRINKS: Two words: MANGO MARGARITA. This was my welcome drink and my favorite while there. The regular margarita is also very good and large. Blue Angel also carries several types of beers and assorted liquors. Bottled water is available. Did I mention the tequila shot?

WIFI: Available in the restaurant and in the lobby area.

DIVE OP: Very, very efficient -- our boats left on time, gear was set up for us between dives, dive masters & captains were safety conscious and pleasant. Our dive masters were Matteo for 2 days and Servando on our last day. We were on one of the smaller boats. We dove our computers and stayed with the group, but were not jammed up as there were only 6-7 of us max. Surface intervals included fresh fruit and baked goods, as well as plenty of fresh water. We tipped the DMs after each trip.

DIVING: Just amazing. Having only dived Negril, it was jaw dropping to see a healthy reef with huge marine life. We dived the following sites:

Day 1: Palancar (swim throughs, turtle, huge angels,)
San Clemente (seahorses, barracuda)
Day 2: Cedral Wall (crazy current, turtles, nurse shark, grouper)
Chankanaab (pipefish, more huge fish)
Day 3: Santa Rosa Wall (turtles)
Tormentos (toadfish, huge eel and grouper)

Our dive on Cedral Wall was a bit of a challenge as there was a substantial amount of current on that dive. Saw a nurse shark and a huge barracuda below us on the safety stop.

We also did 2 shore dives in the late afternoon. Very easy to do. Great nursery for marine life. Next time we will try the Villa Blanca drift if the current allows. (direction) The stingray prison is sad but does attract a lot of other fish.

SAN MIGUEL: We only went into town twice - once to go to Chedraui for some extra cokes for the room and on Sunday evening for dinner. Blue Angel's restaurant closes on Sunday to allow the staff time with their families. Wandered around a bit and found the chamber as well. We had dinner at Casa Denis and met Adrian. It was nice to be able to chat with him and the food was terrific!

MINOR ISSUES: (NOTE - not the fault of the hotel!!!) Issue #1: I am a light sleeper. If you have the same problem be aware that there is road noise -- mostly because there are topes near the hotel and people tend to screech to a stop and then speed off after crossing. We closed the bathroom door and that helped, but next time I will bring my ear plugs.

Issue #2: The mosquitos were pretty bad. Next time I'll bring more DEET. Walking back from dinner on Sunday night was pretty brutal.

RETURN TRIP: Flight out of CZM was fine -- customs in IAH was efficient and quick. Not sure what was going on with Continental Express - we had over an hour delay for our flight back to STL and no real explanation as to why.

Overall, we have a wonderful time at Blue Angel. It is obvious that the owners and staff really care about their guests and the beautiful marine environment at their front door. We spoke with several guests who were repeaters, which is always a good sign. Hubby and I have already decided that we will be back!!

Pics are on our shutterfly page. I am still working on some of the RAW photos and the video that we shot with our P&S's.

Thanks to all the SB'ers who helped provide great info on Coz & on BA. We are now Coz converts! :D

Linda & Mike Matthews

Wow. what a nice detailed report.
I love that little girl at the front desk, Andrea I believe is her name. she was so helpful when I was there.
did you happen to see Jeanie and the DM Jorge while there?
Anyway, thanks for sharing.
I can't wait to get back to COZ in October/November.
Oh, and nice pictures!

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for all the detail! Nice to hear more positive info on the restaurant, much expanded since we were last there. We'll be there in a month!

Thanks!

We didn't get to meet Andrea -- I think I saw who you are describing, but she was speaking to some other guests in the restaurant at the time. We did meet Susanna at the front desk.

Did not meet Jeannie either. I think we saw Jorge -- he was on the big boat with the larger group.

See, another reason to go back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom