• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Trip Report: Cayman Turtle Divers on 4/11/13

Discussion in 'Cayman Islands' started by Lefty Writer, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Lefty Writer

Lefty Writer Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Greetings from SE Texas!

Having gotten so much out of scubaboard.com, I wanted to give back a little. Here is my very first trip report, and I hope it will do justice to others who have posted their experiences.

First off, my wife and I are still rookie divers. We are both OW divers, and I hope to have at least my AOW before June. While we've had the pleasure of diving in Grand Cayman back in 2011, I felt I really wasn't qualified to offer a trip report at that time.

Anyway, we were on the Carnival Magic, and had stops in Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I'll post a trip report for Cozumel in the appropriate forum.

I selected Cayman Turtle Divers based on factors such as time available and the opportunity to dive the Kittiwake. I contacted CTD via their website and JT Knox was quick to answer my inquiry. Booking was very straightforward, and JT answered all of my e-mails in a timely and friendly manner. One of the factors that really helped my decision making process was that CTD offered complimentary transportation from the cruise terminal to their dive boat.

Upon arrival at the cruise terminal, we were met by Al and driven to the marina to board their boat, the Wall Nut. This is a total "valet service," in that Al insisted on carrying/loading our dive bags to and from the van to the dive boat and back. Our pre-departure briefing was very professional and we immediately felt at home. We were originally booked to dive the Kittiwake, but due to sea conditions, both Al and JT recommended against it, so we did two other dives which were quite enjoyable. I was glad to see that they were more interested in doing quality dives rather than just pandering to a customer.

The pre-dive briefings were also very thorough and professional. Al led our first dive on a spot called Eagle Ray Pass. This site is apparently well named as I got to see and photograph one of these magnificent creatures. After a relaxing surface interval, JT led our second dive on Tarpon Tunnel. This dive, too, was simply fantastic, and it will make it hard for us to enjoy our "pond diving" back home. On both dives, Al and JT were able to spear several LARGE lionfish. Every little bit helps, right?

This felt more like diving with friends from my dive club than as a commercial operation. Even as first time customers, we were treated more like old friends than mere clients.

I have already booked another dive trip with them when we return to Grand Cayman at the end of the year when we are on the Carnival Liberty. Hopefully the next time the weather will allow diving the Kittiwake.

2. caymaniac

caymaniac Giant Squid

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    That's a nice report, but you have to schedule a week stay or more to really take a look at Grand Cayman, I promise you won't be sorry. It's a beautiful place to explore topside or under the water. There's so much to do on Grand Cayman. If you like quiet like I do then either the Brac or Little Cayman will suffice.
    [​IMG]

BettyfromToronto likes this.
  3. Lefty Writer

Lefty Writer Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    A week's stay in Cayman is definitely on our list of things to do.

:D

caymaniac likes this.